S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Disappointing Dyno Results!

Old 02-16-2002, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing Dyno Results!

Here are my results. I warn you all, the results are VERY disappointing. What can be wrong?

Dyno was done at PFI in Fort Collins, CO. Temperature was at 60 degrees.

I have Injen CAI intake, and Neuspeed.

I have a few questions about dyno results. Circled on the graph.

- Why does the power curve drop at 6500.
- Why is there a huge jump when the dyno started?

A S2000 (ragtop) was dyno'ed last week on the same dyno and he got 198rwhp. The only mod he had was a K&N drop in filter.

Why is mine so low? I know the altitude is not it, especially after the previous S2000. Everyone was saying the car was running to lean. The CAI is taking in too much air and there is not enough fuel. We compared the dyno against some other S2000's that they had. Another S2000 was at 188rwhp but he had a VAFC.

They did place a fan in front of the car, but it was not too strong. Does the CAI need constant fresh air flowing in the vents? I do have the vents cut out.

I have check some other threads with low results. Some have mentioned the Injen CAI can be installed incorrectly. How is this possible? What should I check for?

Can I loose power from the Injen CAI? If so, is this the first time anyone has seen a power loss?

When I installed the CAI i did not reset the ECU. Should I try this?

I am ordering my VAFC and hopefully I can correct everything. Any other ideas?

Sorry for all the questions, but i was hoping to get about 200 for sure with the Injen CAI. What can be wrong? Please help!

Old 02-16-2002, 06:06 PM

boy, that sure looks rather low . first you have to understand that all S2000 are not created equal, give or take +/- 5-10 hp from Honda. How many dyno runs did you do?? if you feel that the Ingen is the problem, then take it out, put the stock box back in and redo the dyno. also, if your car runs lean, doesnt that produce more HP then running rich and bogging?? although if the dyno guy was right and your car is running lean, you might have a big chance of your car detonating the spark plugs.

when you first installed the ingen intake in the car, did you notice anything?? if you are loosing HP then you should be able to tell right away on your butt meter. i for one am definitely sure that not all S are the same. i went for a few test drives on used S2000's right before i purchased mine, and i can tell some are just slower than others. there is just lemons out there and thats just it.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:15 PM

Oil level was also topped off.

When i first installed the Injen CAI i noticed a immediate increase with my butt dyno.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I installed the CAI i did not reset the ECU. Should I try this?
Yes.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:30 PM
jzr

Simon, your results are almost exactly what a similarly equipped (AEM CAI, Neuspeed exhaust) S2000 here in So Cal. pulled a little while ago. It's the red line in this graph, whereas the purple line was my car's stock baseline run.

The bumps and dips you notice are characteristic of a CAI and are a result of the harmonics of its tube length. Given the results CAI-only S2000s have produced (i.e. gains), you might want to try swapping your exhaust back to stock and re-dynoing. The VAFC or an ECU reset can't fix a banana in your tailpipe.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:50 PM

I'm sorry -- I can't really see your peak HP/TQ on the graph -- what are your numbers exactly?
Old 02-16-2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Shamu
I'm sorry -- I can't really see your peak HP/TQ on the graph -- what are your numbers exactly?
If you click on the pic you can make it full size...

Peak HP 179

Peak torque 125.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwando
[B]
I have a few questions about dyno results.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]Simon, your results are almost exactly what a similarly equipped (AEM CAI, Neuspeed exhaust) S2000 here in So Cal. pulled a little while ago.
Old 02-16-2002, 07:27 PM
jzr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwando
[B]

What was done to the car with the other lines?

Quick Reply: Disappointing Dyno Results!