S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

differences between a single and dual exhaust?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differences between a single and dual exhaust?

hey guys jus been wondering if theres any difference between a single and a dual exhaust....
Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 AM

I think a single is just lighter in weight?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM

Singles = lighter and better flow due to no Y-pipe. = more power

Duals = less flow due to y pipe....more weight and IMO better looks

General consensus is if you want max performance get a single. I have a dual because I preferred the looks and didnt figure a few HP and a few lbs was that big of a deal.

Nate
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine the added back-pressure on the Dual exhaust would help torque a bit, but lose in HP compared to the single
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM

oo okea thanx guys
Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lighter? Yes.

Back-pressure, HP, etc? Nothing that's really been proven to make any sort of an important difference on an otherwise stock car.

And since power equals torque X rpms, exactly how can the exhaust be hurting power but increasing torque? It obviously can't be at any given RPM. You'll have to explain what you mean in more detail, and then back it up with measured data, or else I'll be forced to assume you don't really know.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:40 PM

I've always thought that weight was the biggest and most important difference between the two. T1R 70mm (full titanium single exhaust) weighs something ridiculous like 7lbs, compared to the +40lbs of the stock exhaust.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned
Banned

Uh.. hahha...
Well dual exhaust help flow air out quicker therefore give more HP and Single give torque because of back pressure, then why you already get after market exhaust because it bigger.

I felt the car faster, but weaker at towing passenger in the car. you prolly felt something like that too.

Like with stock car say the M3, the car need a dual exhaust to give the flow out equal to the flow that coming from the engine. Otherwise they have to make a one single big exhaust. By doing dual it make looks nicer and also took care of that problem.

Also, Physics say so. hahahhaha, but giving guys a story for those who don't know physics. no offense to anyone.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're all wrong

Singles flow better, and produce more power and torque. Duals just weigh a lot. You don't want backpressure - it is not a good thing. You want piping that flows as much air as possible, but too large will reduce exhaust velocity. It's been found that 70mm single is the best size for near stock applications.

The only reason to get a dual is if you like the look. I personally do not like the way it looks - it is heavy, and the car is a 4 cylinder so it's a fake dual. Singles look more aggressive imo and make more power.

I've had the stock exhaust back on my car for a few months and it drives me nuts every time I look at it. I can't wait for my 3" single to go on.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 AM

Duals would only work better on exhaust systems that are TRUE DUAL which means there is no split. Stock s2000 piping is one pipe that splits into two seperate pipes. The split is what loses the power. If you think about it, according to physics, a SINGLE exhaust on the s2000 is better.

Quick Reply: differences between a single and dual exhaust?