S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Did it take you a while to get used to your S?

Old 09-05-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did it take you a while to get used to your S?

I remember driving my brand new S home from the dealership. I was excited but the new car was so strange.

The next night, during a Bowie concert , my mind was on the strange new sports car at home. I had a lot to explore.

But in the four months and 4,500 miles since, my S has become much more familiar to me. I think that today I realized it all was coming together. I felt comfortable with the machine.

I think that, no matter how skilled you are, you must be better with your S after several months than you were when you first got it.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you're saying. This was my first sports car, first convertible, even my first Honda. It was a real culture shock.

But about a month after buying it I took the S on a trip from Dallas to Vegas to LA and back. Nothing like a long road trip to get you in touch with a new car. I would recommend it to anyone.

In fact, I've got a serious itch to take another West Coast cruise again real soon.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It took me a while to learn the car as well. Especially to drive it hard. It has different characteristics than what most people are used to (i.e. front wheel drives), and is hyper-sensitive in poor road conditions.

If more people would ease into the experience a little at a time, take drivers safety coarses, and a track day or two.......we would have alot fewer accidents and totalled cars out there.

Hockey
Old 09-05-2004, 05:52 PM

Yes, it took me a while to get used to the S, mainly because this was my first manual transmission car. For the first few days, I was terrified to take it out in traffic, knowing I'd stall it at least once and didn't want to look like a fool. Even now, I get a little nervous on big inclines, especially if the person behind me is right on my bumper.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hockey,Sep 5 2004, 05:43 PM
and is hyper-sensitive in poor road conditions.
Hyper sensitive? I'm considering buying one but it'd be my daily driver and here in KS, we get a lot of rain and a couple snow falls each winter. Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Yes, it took a little while. Even now when I haven't driven it for a week or so I get in and tend to slightly overbrake and oversteer for the first few minutes because Ive grown accustomed to driving my other car.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:04 PM

No, but I have a few factors that worked in my favor. First, I grew up on Z28s so rear wheel drive is the only thing that does feel "right" to me. Second, I bought an Acura RSX-S one year ago so my adjustment to Honda's "stuff" (you know what I mean, every manufacturer has a certain feel to them) was already made. Third, my father also owns an S2000 so of course everytime I went over to his place I aggravated the crap out of him so I could take it out for a spin.
I can honestly say the car has felt like a custom tailored glove to me from day one with the exception of two small things. First, the non-lighted ignition switch (I can't get the key in to save my life in the dark), and second, I'm still fumbling a bit with the power window switches (it just seems as if they are placed poorly).
Old 09-05-2004, 07:21 PM

I just recently purchased my S back in early July and it is a lot of 'firsts' for me too. It's my first standard, first sports car, first convertible, and first HONDA. Because of all these 'firsts', it's the most exciting car I've ever driven.

Driving a stick is the most difficult 'newness' to get used to. Now after putting some miles on it, I feel more and more comfortable with it every time I get in the S. I still have some nervousness taking off from a stop, but it'll just take time and lots of practice before it becomes second nature. I love my car so much.

I had considered getting a Nissan 350Z, but I don't think that car could have made me as happy and content as my S does. Once you get used to the S, nothing really comes close to the engineering genius, jaw-dropping styling, and overall enjoyment of this automotive jewel. I my S!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:59 PM

I've had my S for a little over a year now and I'm still feeling her out in some ways; STILL haven't taken it past redline to see the 9000 flash.
But it I must say I got used to pretty quick. For me it was love at first shift.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:35 PM

only took me a day and 1/2 to get fully used to it. by the second night i was carving up the backroads.

Quick Reply: Did it take you a while to get used to your S?