S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Delerious Gas Gauge

Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delerious Gas Gauge

For no apparent reason, the gas gauge on my MY05 has become about as reliable as my ability to balance a checkbook. Recently it read one bar off of full and took 2.6 gallons! Almost always upon fill up it never reads full, sometimes taking a full day to finally decide to go all the way to the right. HAS anyone else had trouble with the gas gauge? Any esperience with Honda in terms of correcting this annoyance? Thank you.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a similar problem w/ my 01. Example - I start the car in the morning and I have 1 fuel bar w/ the "need gas" light on. I drive 5 mi down the road and all of a sudden I have 3 or 4 bars w/ the "need gas" light off.

The car wasn't sitting any differently when I started it (like a hill or anything like that). Like the more I drive it, the more gas it put into the tank. Wierd Anyway, I try to make sure I have at least 1/4 of a tank because I don't trust the gauge.

Warren
Old 06-24-2005, 06:01 AM

You might want to have that checked out, sounds like you have a tank-pressurizing problem. I'm not sure how the s2k's work, but somethign to look into. What is your gas-miledge? has it gone down?
Old 06-24-2005, 06:06 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact my gas mileage does seem to have gone down recently. Does this tank pressurizing problem you mention mean I may be wasting gas?
Old 06-24-2005, 06:30 AM

When the gauge doesn't go up automatically to full that happened to me, next time you fill up try and take out the key from the ignition, i figued out that if their is power in the system it takes long to update.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same happens to me sometimes. weirdest of all was a couple weeks ago, i took my car on a pretty long trip and on the way back, i stopped off to grab something to eat. i get back in the car, which had a qtr tank, started it up, and all of a sudden i saw the bars going up like i had a full tank! little by little they started going down, but it was the weirdest thing. always keep an eye on how much gas you have cause the bars def do go up and down for no reason
Old 06-24-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the older models had problems with the filler neck not sealing properly with the gas cap. If you don't turn it those three clicks past tight, it might cause weird stuff to happen (like a CEL). I haven't heard anything about the newer ones. I have had the problem with the reappearing gas though. I'll be on completely empty one second, then 3 more bars appear out of nowhere. Sometimes I think if I keep going my tank will fill back up
Old 06-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,002 Likes on 518 Posts

Louis-

Triumph has something. I had a similar problem, and my dealership was able to correlate it to something that happens on the Accords.

If you keep the ignition on, for listening to the radio, etc... the gauge will not reset correctly. Fill up with the key out or in the off position and see if it corrects the problem. This simple little item solved it for me.

As for getting bad mileage, I chalk my problems up to me driving habits.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary,Jun 24 2005, 11:41 AM
Louis-

Triumph has something. I had a similar problem, and my dealership was able to correlate it to something that happens on the Accords.

If you keep the ignition on, for listening to the radio, etc... the gauge will not reset correctly. Fill up with the key out or in the off position and see if it corrects the problem. This simple little item solved it for me.

As for getting bad mileage, I chalk my problems up to me driving habits.
Glad to hear that. I filled up the other day with the radio on and this exact thing happened. Out of instinct I peulled the key and then turned it back on and it was fine.

I did however haave a disconcerting thing haappen the day before yesterday...

My gas gauge was approaching the low end of things, and eventually ALL of the bars were gone and the low fuel light came on. I drove about another mile or two to a gas station awaiting a 12-13 gallon fill up. What I got instead was only a mere 10.3 gallon fill! Thats not cool....

Craig
Old 06-24-2005, 08:00 AM

I've noticed that with my S, as with almost every car, the fuel gauge reading is affected by whether or not the car is sitting on a level plane. If you're parked on a driveway with the nose pointing downward (or braking), the fuel gauge reads higher. The inverse is also true. Also left and right makes a difference. If somehow the car is leaning to the left (an unlevel road or if your making a long sweeping turn to the right) it also reads high. I suspect it's all about where the gauge in the fuel tank.

Quick Reply: Delerious Gas Gauge