S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealing with a no grip oil pan bolt...HELP..

Old 08-11-2003, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealing with a no grip oil pan bolt...HELP..

so the last time i changed my oil, i over torque'd the bolt, now today i went to change it, i messed up the whole bolt...its got no grip on it now. Anything out there i can do for less money than taking it to a weld shop and have them weld on another bolt on top of the old one and unscrewing it that way?...

i've heard of JB-weld, but not sure if it actually works well...its like glue..but gotta have time to let it dry...so...help would be nice
Old 08-11-2003, 10:47 PM

think buying another oil pan for my accord would solve this problem?...or a less cheaper way?...ur talkin bout 50 bux for a new oil pan..
Old 08-11-2003, 11:32 PM

Craftsman has "bolt-out" sockets that work on rounded off hex heads. I had to use this on the diff to axle nuts I rounded off trying to take those puppies out.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:35 AM

use a vice grip
Old 08-12-2003, 01:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Worst case, drill out the bolt. Use a drill bit about the same size as the shank and when you get a few mil in the head should snap off. Then you can either remove the sump and get some pliers on it (it won't be tight any more), or use a smaller drill bit down the center of it (it's hardened on the outside but has a soft center) a few mill. Then force an allen key in and undo it with that.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:06 AM

vise-grip will work.

While your at it, replace it with a fram-sure drain thing. Or that other thing that rick's accessories has i think. Where you can basically change the oil without any "tools" to mess up the bolt.

With my prelude, on the type-SH model, you can't fit a socket-wrench onto the drain-bolt because the ATTS unit is blocking it. Now I just use a fram sure-drain and I can drain the oil by screwing the attachment on.

I ended up stripping the damn bolt with an open-head wrench and I couldn't get it off. There were still enough "edges" to use a hammer though. So basically I took a hammer and a flat-head and started hammering at it to loosen it.

If you've messed it up enough to the point where there's no way a flat-head will break the torque on it, then get a vise-grip. Those things will NOT let go. And use your body weight to break the torque.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:04 AM

thanx guys, i'm going to check out sears for vise grip and the Craftsman's "bolt-out" sockets.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:05 AM

use a plumber wrench. it'll hold onto almost anything.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:21 AM

The vise grips I had wouldn't hold in the space available. I'm glad the bolt out worked. The nuts were torqued very high, and I used Liquid Wrench.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:17 AM

Pickup a cheap torque wrench as well so you don't do this again. A slightly inaccurate torque wrench is better then none at all. All you need is the flex type that costs a few bucks.

Quick Reply: Dealing with a no grip oil pan bolt...HELP..