S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealership wont wait 2 weeks for me to purchase car

Old 03-13-2001, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a car through priceline, it has just now finally arrived, 3 weeks after its due date. The salesperson at the dealership said that once it came, they would put the car in the back of the lot and hold it till my fathers loan was all in order. Well it just arrived today, and they call and say, we have to purchase this week, now thats not cool. My dad loan will take like 2 weeks, whats up with this??
Andre
Old 03-13-2001, 09:53 PM

I dont want to give the name of the dealership, because everything else with them has gone perfectly, hopefully we will be able to take care of this matter.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:13 PM

That sucks! Hope it works out, kid.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:18 PM

Why would it take 2 weeks for loan to go thru?
Old 03-13-2001, 10:23 PM

We gotta wait for Greenspan to cut rates on the 20th
Old 03-13-2001, 10:27 PM

So why can you dad just sign a check and have them hold for two weeks. BTW, it's no guarantee that Greenspan would cut the rate and if he does, it's probably just 1/4 of point or so...
Old 03-13-2001, 11:17 PM
Ray

They don't like to have the cars sitting around for a long time. There most likely are other customers bugging the dealers for one and it's inconvenient for salesmen to have to explain to their customers why they can't sell the car to them even through it's been sitting in a storage for a week. It's also a liability. It could get damaged while in storage. It's wheels could get stolen. One of the service guys might take it out for a test drive. I mean there are hundred thousand different things that the dealers could get blamed for. It's a hassel and they know that they could always sell the car to someone else.

I'd ask them to reconsider, and if they still say that they can't hold on to the car then I'd just get the loan now and refinance when the rates drop.

When I was shopping for my car I made e-mail requests to just about every single Honda dealership in SoCal. When a dealership finally got the car I wanted, I literally had one hour to drive 50 miles to that dealership because there were at least two other people who have been informed that the car was available at the dealership and they would have sold the car to one of those two people if I had come 20 minutes later.

I know it sucks but you don't really have a lot of choice. Either buy it now and refinance later or wait for another car to arrive. If you plan to wait then start calling all of the Honda dealers in the area. Who knows, one of the dealerships might have the car you want within two or three weeks. Just make sure that they sell by first come first serve bases and to leave them your home, business and cell phone number.

I had to go through this and know that it's extremely frustrating. But have patience and don't give up. I am certainly glad that I didn't.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bender in Clovis, NM, held mine for about three weeks until I could get there and get finances all straightened out. What I'd do is give them 500 or 1000 bucks and ask them to sit on it - of course, this would be towards the car, not in addition to the price you paid.

The dealerships, as I understand it, get mucho more money if they sell a car within the first few weeks or month of its arrival. This is maybe why they are saying they must sell it this week - or else, they know they can get more than what your agreement states.

hmmmm, looking at priceline's policy:

Contact the dealer and arrange a date when you can pick up your car. If you do not take delivery of the vehicle, you will be charged the $100 Good Faith Cancellation Fee.

If you're leasing or financing, you must fill out a credit application. If you make a good faith effort to obtain credit approval for either a loan or lease but are failed for credit, priceline will not charge you a Good Faith Cancellation Fee.
as taken from here

hrmmmm, interesting -

[QUOTE]Conflict with pick-up date
Old 03-14-2001, 05:34 AM

Andre:

A 1/4 or 1/2 point drop in a car interest rate makes very little car payment difference. Check it out. Not worth worrying about IMHO.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:43 AM

Ask them if you can place a deposit on the car, thereby holding it until you get the loan

Quick Reply: Dealership wont wait 2 weeks for me to purchase car