S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealer called for me to pick color

Old 11-27-2000, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering how long it takes from the day the dealer calls Honda to allocate the color I want till they get it on their lot.

They were telling me how their time frame to contact Honda was less than 8 hours!

Also, if it comes sooner than early summer, there might be a chance that I need for them to hold it on their lot for a month or two. Should I tell them explicitly to not drive my car or should I assume they won't? Hearing about some of the dealer stories scares me a bit. How many miles should be on the car upon delivery to the dealership?
Old 11-27-2000, 11:43 PM

I would be very surprised if they would be willing to hold the car on their lot for a month or two. There is a system with most dealers called floor-planing where they pay interest on every auto on their lot and I doubt they want to do this unless you've already secured financing. Why would you want to leave it with them anyway? Also, you should expect to have under ten miles on your car when it arrives at the dealer; otherwise, it's likely someone's been vtecing you baby!
Old 11-28-2000, 07:01 AM

The thing is, I was originally told that they wouldn't call me to select the color untnil February. Well, it's not even December! I was expecting delivery in July which was good for me, but now it looks like it will be here earlier.

So my sales guy talked with the general manager and said that it'd be all right to keep it on their lot for a couple months. I would like to try to avoid that if at all possible... it's just that I will be out of country around then and, well, a long story...

The sales guy told me that sometimes Honda test drives some of the cars and puts on 30 miles or so on them. Is this true or is it bologna?

If I do have to leave it there, what should I instruct them to do since the car will basically be doing nothing for two months?
Old 11-28-2000, 07:13 AM

VTEC:

Sounds like the guy is just trying to set his allocation. Another words in Oct. my dealer had one allocated and he requested a Spa Yellow for me and I placed a refundable deposit. This car was built on Nov. 10 and I got a VIN # today which gives me a 2-3 week delivery time frame. Should see the car before Christmas. I suggest you pick your color and place a refundable deposit. The car is still months away depending on what months allocation the dealer is on.
Old 11-28-2000, 07:26 AM

If I picked up my car and it had 30 miles on it, I'd be wary...I took delivery last Friday, and was glad to see that my car only had 5 miles on it. Request that the car be kept inside, especially if it's going to be sitting there for a few months.
Old 11-28-2000, 07:26 AM

So just like 3 months away?! Even at four months it'll be here in March.

Dude, it's exciting, but it sucks at the same. I bet you're psyched to get yours!
Old 11-28-2000, 07:38 AM

What I'm afraid of seeing happen is having my sales guy tell me it came with 50 miles due to Honda's "test drive" when in fact it only arrived with 5-10 miles.

Don't know how to make sure they don't joy ride in the car.
Old 11-28-2000, 09:39 AM

On my contract with the dealer I had two special items listed. No dealer stickers and no more than 15 miles on the car. It came with less than 10. However, they put the dealer plate on the front. NOT!! Off it came and back in went the plugs before I would pay for the car.
Old 11-28-2000, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vtec, they randomly test cars coming off the line on a track. Yours may or may not be one of the ones tested, but this can result in as many as 20-30 miles on it. I wouldn't stress about that, but I WOULD have someone go to the dealership when your car arrives (since you'll be gone) and make note of the mileage for you to make sure your car isn't the joyride of the week.

HTH...
Old 11-28-2000, 09:56 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

I would be more than a little surprised if they held your car for more than a few days. The dealer has to pay "floor planning", interest on the car when it sits in the possession of the dealer. That's why you can generally get a better deal at the end of the month.
You want to be certain that they will hold the color that you choose. It might turn out to be a different car in that color, but I can't see a dealer paying interest on a car that he can easily sell.

Quick Reply: Dealer called for me to pick color