S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The deal on rear gear sets, installation parts, and the Yellow Box

Old 03-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xviper - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=105775

My mechanic even asked me if I wanted to use the bolts that came with the gears. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I could have sworn he asked me that.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I see the bolts in that picture, but mine did not come with them. I'm sure of it because I did most of the work myself. "Italianbuckwheat" also got the J's just recently. I'll PM him a link to this thread and see what he got.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all. Okay mine came with the J's ring gear and pinion, J's racing ring gear bolts(10). A J's racing sticker and a color print out of all The J's racing products for the s2000, which was all in Japanese. The bolts came in a little plastic box that specifies the torque (10.5 kg-m) and a price tag 6000 yen and part # rgb-s1. So they where included in mine!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-25-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]I see the bolts in that picture, but mine did not come with them.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got screwed! Well, I didn't even see any screws.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
Thus the mileage warranty expires 2-3% too soon, an industry standard fact.
Not necessarily true. Comparing my Honda VFR with a GPS (and confirmed by other VFR list members) showed that while the VFR speedo read 7 percent high, the odo was spot on. I haven't had the time to test my S2000, but on my Audi TTR, the speedo read high and again, the odo was right on.

Car and Driver had an article (you can find it on their website) last April I think that dicussed the legal reasons behind inaccurate speedometers. Many countries have laws that say that the speedo cannot read lower than actual speed and in some European countries, they have to account for the potential of the owner installing different sized tires/wheels. In the article they point out that a BMW (I think) that they tested had an inaccurate speedo, but the trip computer figured average speed using the actual, as opposed to the displayed, figure.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by HondaS2K8888
Must.....resist......cannot spend anymore money
Old 03-25-2003, 11:03 AM

In that Car and Driver article, Honda odo's were shown to be off by 1-2% as well, so the yellow box might even pay for itself!

BTW, great deal on these parts.

UL
Old 03-26-2003, 02:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Let me set the record straight on odo and speedo error. On this car (and most other modern cars) if the speedo is off, the odo is off by exactly the same proportion. Makes perfect sense, since they are both driven by the same sensor.

The Yellow Box folks, in fact, suggest that the most accurate calibration is done via an odometer test.

As I indicated in another post on this topic, using the test recommended by the Yellow Box folks, I drove precisely 6 miles (using the mile markers on my local Interstate as a guide --- these are very reliable, since they are set by surveyors). My odo recorded 6.6 miles, a 10 percent error, about 2 percent due to the inherent error in the sensor itself and the other 8 percent due to the 4.44 rear gear. That same 10 precent error was showing up in the speed recorded by the speedo.

The Yellow Box fixed it all.

BTW, using a GPS to calibrate the Yellow Box is a rather crude method, since there is a lag time on speed and it doesn't stay steady enough to get a reading to the nearest tenth, which is what we're shooting for here. The mile marker method is far more accurate and reliable, and much easier to do.

Quick Reply: The deal on rear gear sets, installation parts, and the Yellow Box