S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

DBW

Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBW

The 2006+ year models have drive by wire technology. My question is what makes DBW superior? Which leads me to my second question, does it make the S2000 "better"? I know the word "better" can be subjective. What I'm trying to get to is why would I want it in my car. I'm thinking of getting an S2K either a 2005 or 2006 model. I appreciate any input on this subject.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the DBW is needed because of the TC... correct me if I am wrong but that is why it is in place.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, but I've also read that after market traction control systems can be added to older cars with throttle cables.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of older cars have a cable with Tc, like a supra. But not sure why honda did it.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think DBW was chosen because it was "superior."

It was the way for Honda to incorporate their existing VSA technology.

It's like the clutch-delay valve... put in place to protect people from themselves.

Lots of high-performance cars use DBW, though. It's a way for technology to be smarter than the drivers.

I can feel the millisecond throttle delay in our DBW vehicles and it annoys me. I like the raw, no frills AP1 for the weekend "fun" car.

I'd compromise if it was a daily driver, though.

And AlX Boi is correct: Racelogic sells an aftermarket traction control system. I have one. You can theoretically launch at 9k rpm and it'll give it enough fuel to keep 10% wheelspin. It reacts to conditions faster than you can. And for crummy weather, you can set it to 0% slip so it'll cut power if you start to oversteer.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Jul 9 2007, 08:57 AM

And yes, there are aftermarket ESP's for the S2000's with throttle cable.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:38 AM

DBW is needed for the VSA to interface the throttle to the 4 channel ABS and yaw sensors
Racelogic do an aftermarket TC setup with cruise control and launch control. I'm considering it for my supercharged S.

More details on how VSA works

http://world.honda.com/news/1997/t970702d.html
Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 AM

DBW is on a lot of newer cars. I had a 06 350Z that was dbw. I felt no hesitation at all with that car. The hesistation that I feel with the S seems to be related to the fuel mapping.
I have heard that there is a hole in the fuel mapping going from 1->2 and this causes the hesitation problem. I do not think there is a fix for this currently. If you keep the car in the higher rpm's 3-3500 going into 2nd I don't have any problems.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Jul 8 2007, 11:57 PM

It's like the clutch-delay valve... put in place to protect people from themselves.

Lots of high-performance cars use DBW, though. It's a way for technology to be smarter than the drivers.

I can feel the millisecond throttle delay in our DBW vehicles and it annoys me. I like the raw, no frills AP1 for the weekend "fun" car.

I'd compromise if it was a daily driver, though.

And AlX Boi is correct: Racelogic sells an aftermarket traction control system. I have one. You can theoretically launch at 9k rpm and it'll give it enough fuel to keep 10% wheelspin. It reacts to conditions faster than you can. And for crummy weather, you can set it to 0% slip so it'll cut power if you start to oversteer.
A lot of people think there is a delay but there really isn't. The delay you're feeling is from the Clutch Delay Valve. If you blip the throttle... it has the same response as the cable driven throttle.

And if there was a millisecond of delay... do you actually think you'd feel it???? I doubt it.

Andre
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM

How about calling it an "Electrically operated throttle body" instead?

All modern cars = DBW. The ECU listens to the Throttle Position Sensor in a cable car anyway.

The nice thing about the 06-07's throttle system is that it gets rid of all the crap. No cruise control throttle cable system, no idle air control valve system......simple. Plus the engine bay is less cluttered. Seems like the right thing to do on this kind of car.

My Mustang had a cable operated throttle, and the s2k is just as resposive if not more in throttle blips, etc. If you put the key to run in an 06-07 without cranking the engine your can hear the throttle servo working with your throttle inputs, and it goes move for move with you foot without any delay.

Quick Reply: DBW