S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The Day Has Come to Choose: S2K or 350Z

Old 12-23-2002, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Day Has Come to Choose: S2K or 350Z

Well, next week i will be either going to the honda or nissan dealership to order my new car. I drove both cars, and loved them both. Unfortunately, my bank account only allows me to buy one.

The reasons why I like the 350z is because it is easier to drive. Launching is much less challenging than the s2k and the car just seems forgiving. Also, power is always on tap and any engine speed. The lines of the Z really appeal to me and it seems that it will not get dated quickly, but that is just my objective oppinion. Gizmos and gadgetry in the Z are far more than the S2k, and the base price is still cheaper.

The reasons why I like the s2k is because it is purely a drivers car. Engine sounds amazing and you "feel" the speed more in the s2k. It takes more skill to drive, but i could tell, once mastered, it would be more fun to drive than the Z. Throttle response is amazing at high rpm. Soft top has it's pros and cons, but the car still seems to be just if not more rigid than the Z. Push button starter is a nice touch. In general, I feel like I am driving a race car.

I want a car that performance is first priority. What should I do?

Date to decide is Jan. 6th, 2003
Old 12-23-2002, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say performance, what exactly do you mean? Stock or aftermarket potential? Drag? Drift? Auto Cross? Road racing? Highway cruising?

I am going with the S because I don't have any intentions to drag race it. In my mind it is superior because it is a lightweight rigid sports car with a sports car engine and the most amazing transmission I've ever felt in my life (relatively short as it may be)

When I test drove it all four times, I walked away smiling, in complete disbelief of the experience. Never felt that way after driving a car before.

I have driven an M3, Boxster and numerous lesser candidates. Granted, I have not driven the Z but from the video footage I have seen it is a little to computer assisted and heavy.

At the end of the day though, I think it's really feel. The car just felt amazing. Really attributable I believe to its chassis dynamics, engine, and absolutely unbelievable transmission.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:46 PM

I have to agree here. There is just something about the S. I feel like I've grown wheels everytime I drive it. You just feel "one" with the car and feel part of it. I've never really had this feeling in any other car like this one. You don't want to get out of it. Plus, you get the added benefit of it being a convertible with the rigidity greater than most coupes!

Old 12-23-2002, 09:00 PM

i think the Z would be more practical.
but if the space, and the power on tap at any rpm is not an issue then the s2k is the car for you. The s2k is still rare. The Z will become mass produced and already I see more Zs on the road than s2 on any given day. I like both cars. I would like the Z as well, but $$ does not provide me to get that.

I think with the s2000 you would be happier if u live in the warmer climate. nothing like a drop top...

LIL raja
Old 12-23-2002, 09:20 PM

living in canada, a soft top would be a bit of an issue for me, but nothing to stop me from buying the car. I really want a car that will be an exceptional handler yet still have 1/4 potential. Aftermarket is not THAT important to me, although i will most likely still add the bolt ons.

Has anybody has road or track encounters with the Z yet?

Also, is the Z really going to be mass produced?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:25 PM

Yes. They are making 30,000 Z's this year alone! Since the s2k came out about 3 years ago, only 29,000 were sold here so far.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:38 PM

350z

s2000 owners never have any doubts as to which car they want
Old 12-23-2002, 09:42 PM

when is the s2k planning on redesigning or doing anything with the engine? any news on that yet?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

We're mostly S2000 owners and enthusiasts here. What do you think we'll tell you?
I believe the answer to your question lies in your first post. And I think you've already found the answers.
Do you want an easier car to drive?
Are you going to launch your car often?
Are you the kind of driver that you need your car to be more forgiving?
Do you like power whenever you want it?
Do you want a car that won't be (in your opinion) "old news" in a short time?
Do you like gizmos and gadgets? How important is this to you?
Do you want to spend less money? Can you afford to spend more?
You say the S2000 is a purely driver's car. Do you want to be a pure driver?
How much do you really like the S2000 sound?
Do you have the patience and the ability to develop the needed skills?
Is the throttle response important to you?
Yeah, it's a rigid car AND it's a convertible. Is this what you want?
An extra 5 grand is a lot of money for a push button starter. You could probably put one in a Z for a lot less.
Do you want to drive a race car?
The performance difference between these two cars is minimal.
It's your nickel. I'm not going to tell you how to spend it.
Here, take a look at this thread. It's designed for people just like you.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=79802
Old 12-23-2002, 10:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

350Z
I kind of like the way it looks and in person I like it more. Of course the Track version with the Brembo brakes is a definite turn on. I love my S2K and may get the 350Z convertible when it comes out.

Quick Reply: The Day Has Come to Choose: S2K or 350Z