S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dash Replaced

Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Replaced

Had my dash replaced in MY07 with about 8k miles on it on 8/3/07. Went to a meet in STL this weekend when someone pointed out that I don't have a vin tag on my dash anymore!!! I cannot believe how absolutely stupid this mistake is. I hope they still have my dash at the dealership and can put my vin tag back on. This will require my dash to be removed again, which means my aftermarket head unit and xm tuner box will be removed and I will have to reinstall them AGAIN. Words simply cannot describe my feelings about this oversight. BTW Honda only produces vin tags one time and will not, under ANY circumstances, reprint any vin tag or sticker. This is absolutely sickening.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Moved to S2000Talk.

Have you contacted your dealer?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oheim- Repace the Vin# in a convienient place that doesn't require you to remove the dash.
Even though it may not be in the stock position the dealer can furnish you with some paper-work that explains the out of position tag.
Maintain this proof along with other documents that you keep on this car.
This should work as an acceptible explaination at re-sell or trade-in.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Another thought.
If the original tag is unavailable or can't be re-used, Obtain a small (shaped to fit) piece of aluminum or stainless piece of metal and have it engraved at at jeweler.
You could also add a little customization such as:
VIN# 00000000000
Model 2007
Type S2000
Engine 2.4L VTEC

Since the VIN# is on every other panel on the car, I can't see you ever having any problems trying to explain a custom tag.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM

When my car was broken into I had to have my dash replaced as well, and noticed that my VIN tag was missing the day before I was supposed to pick up my car.

I pointed it out and they retrieved my old dash from the dumpster (yikes) and pulled the VIN plate off. They riveted it without removing the newly installed dash.

Apparently that was a big no-no however, as in Canada, the manager indicated that the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) are supposed to be present for the transfer of VIN plates to ensure no fraudulent activity takes place.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM

I want the tag to be just like it was before I had this problem. Talked to the dealership today, fortunately they still have my old dash. The service manager said that they could put it back on with epoxy?!?!? I said absolutely not. They just don't want to take the time to do it right because they wont be getting paid to take out the dash again. I told him that it WILL be put back correctly. Oh and I guess the rivets that hold it in are a star style, which is not common. He will be ordering new OE rivets before the install
Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Might be just me but I wouldn't want them to pull the dash a second time. Too many other things that might not go just right and you wind up with a problem somewhere else.
If it were me, I'd take the VIN tag home and find a way to install it myself even if I wound up using epoxy.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JackS,Aug 20 2007, 01:19 PM
Might be just me but I wouldn't want them to pull the dash a second time. Too many other things that might not go just right and you wind up with a problem somewhere else.
If it were me, I'd take the VIN tag home and find a way to install it myself even if I wound up using epoxy.
Take the Epoxy route.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 PM

Dealership says epoxy.... I just don't know if I trust them to do it.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:10 AM

Have them do it right. Shouldve been done correctly the first go around

Quick Reply: Dash Replaced