S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dash Opinions

Old 11-14-2001, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the first digital dash in the Corvette was sooooo bad it left a lot of people with a real negative opinion of digital.

I'll go down as one who loves the S2000 digital dash because it is so functional, is an indicator of the F-1 concept at play with the car and the fact that it is so well done.

Spoon may have discontinued that analog dash because it is so ugly, hello???

My only critique would have been adding some additional gauges in the S2000, but Honda has a long history of just giving us gas level and water temp.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it, wouldn't want it any other way. The tach is much easier to read than an analog tach is, IMO.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:30 AM

didn't like it at first but it grew on me....not sure i would change it all
Old 11-14-2001, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

I love the digital speedo and tach -- it's much easier to read on the fly and IMHO, the analog gauges are a thing of the past, popluar largely because of tradition and habit, and little else.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:58 AM
Banned

I think the dash is very cool...it's styled after an F-1 dash. How wrong can THAT be?!

But lest we forget, digital dashes have been tried for many years in many cars. The Corvette had it. The Supra had it. Even Cadillacs had it! This was back in the early 80's and it never really caught on. I'm not sure that analog guages will all of a sudden be a thing of the past because of the S2000's dash, but it works well in this car. I would like, however, that the speedo update more quickly on decel...but that's not a huge deal.

Also, the tach is great, but over time as you learn your car, you use it less and less and shift according to sound rather than the tach. But a quick glance at the tach is a great way to make sure that you are where you think you are.

Old 11-14-2001, 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

I think an interesting question here is whether cars tailored for the American market always have to be retrograde in comparison to what is offered elsewhere.

Reading, for example, in R&T the engineer's comments about the design of the new Mazda, it's clear that they made the handling and suspension softer to suit soft-ass, crappy American drivers. That was the real thought behind his "immature" comment about S2000's handling.

Does this kind of thinking apply to digital guages, and does it explain why they haven't taken off with American drivers? I wonder...
Old 11-14-2001, 08:42 AM

I love it... although I really didn't think much of it as I have one on my bike. Most sportbikes come with a digital speedo and an analog tach. The s2000's dash looks a LOT like the Rc51's dash...
http://www.rc51.com/images/dash-big.jpg

Old 11-14-2001, 10:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]I think an interesting question here is whether cars tailored for the American market always have to be retrograde in comparison to what is offered elsewhere.

Reading, for example, in R&T the engineer's comments about the design of the new Mazda, it's clear that they made the handling and suspension softer to suit soft-ass, crappy American drivers.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If a manufacturer were to produce a retrofit analog gauge package, would you buy it?
Analog gauges? Would they be making a retrofit steam engine too?

The digital dash is great. More detailed info in a heads up display would be even better.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:28 PM

Love the dash as is..................

Quick Reply: Dash Opinions