S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A Dark And Shady World For S2000 Parts ?

Old 09-27-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Dark And Shady World For S2000 Parts ?

Hey everyone...

Just wanted to lob one out there... In the past 6 months as an owner of a S2K, I've done my casual research looking for OEM parts here and there, for pet projects or for my actual replacement needs (my factory bumper has a scratch and I'm on the hunt for another OEM factory-painted bumper to replace it with).

I'm going out on a limb and stating the following: there are way too many S2000 OEM parts being sold out there (either on eBay or a dozen other websites I frequent) and I question their history. Yes, most of us (who are legit) on this board screw around with our cars, and either buy aftermarket parts and we then sell our factory parts, but there are just way too many listings out there selling parts. I've seen so many listings (not on this website, but others) where people are selling factory panels, seats, steering wheels / airbags, wheels and tires, engines, etc...

Obviously, some of these parts come off recovered or totaled cars and find themselves on the marker again... But please... the majority of these parts are coming from punks ( alot of them on the east coast) who are selling them privately... and not through a proven or reputable recycling shop or junkyard. I've actually pursued some parts and time and time again, these guys withhold their phone numbers and want to meet you somewhere... just classic. Nevermind the fact that the have e-mail addresses that never alude to their actual name or a real place of employment... So what's the net-net ?? Are our cars being raped out there ?? We all know what our seats and wheels, etc go for new... This is nothing new to the industry in general, but rather, something that has been bugging me for a while.

What do you guys think ?? Have any of you been in a position where you have seen this type of behavior ?
Old 09-27-2001, 10:42 AM

I`m sure the majority of them are stolen. An s2000online member gets his car jacked every once in a while, but, we only represent 20-25% of s2000 owners I believe.

Ryan
Old 09-27-2001, 11:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by ricklobo
(my factory bumper has a scratch and I'm on the hunt for another OEM factory-painted bumper to replace it with).
No such part, a factory painted bumper would be off another car. Could be your search prompts some of the behavior you are worried about.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:45 AM

You missed my point...

Yes, I realize that my search for an OEM-painted bumper would be off another S2000... I presumed that this part would be sourced from totaled S2000s out there (from front end or side collisions, flood damage) or from owners who got aftermarket bumpers to enhance or differentiate the factory appearance....

But I'm encountering a lot of people who say they are "selling for a friend", "came off my old car", "it has been sitting around in my garage for no reason", etc... I had hoped to deal with real recycling yards or shops that can demonstrate a history of a particular part but this is not the case...
Old 09-27-2001, 12:11 PM

Majority of them probably are stolen. Especially the ones who won't divulge their basic personal info like name! I mean, it's not like we're asking for their social security number!

(But I tend to be a pessimist anyhow...especially with all the leech SOB car thieves out there)
Old 09-27-2001, 12:29 PM

My guess is they are stolen. The VIN number is labeled on each body panel and the bumpers. Ask for the VIN..."so your buddy the state trooper can run a trace to make sure it's not stolen." If it is, they won't give it too you and then you'll know.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robw01
[B]My guess is they are stolen.
Old 09-27-2001, 12:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robw01
[B]My guess is they are stolen.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:24 PM

If it seems too cheap or unbelievable, then don't buy it. You never know, you're either supporting the car theft trade of the same model or you're the victim of it. So the only way is to reduce demand, then the supply will obviously be less as well.

Old 09-28-2001, 10:57 AM

There probably are a lot of stolen parts out there. The advice of checking the VIN# is a good one. The only problem is with the seats since they don't have a VIN# on them. Look what happened to cdelena.

Quick Reply: A Dark And Shady World For S2000 Parts ?