S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

damage done at walmart from shopping cart

Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

r duff:

Good. Just be sure to take a cab there when you buy it.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-08-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clawhammer,Mar 8 2006, 04:01 PM
Did you park at the very end of the lot? It's a lot less likely for your car to get damaged out there.
Sometimes that doesn't do any good.

I stopped for groceries in Barstow on my way to Vegas in the early 80's. I had a nice looking "78 Audi 5000S - no dings or scratches. I parked out in the middle of nowhere to keep my car dent free. The wind was blowing @ 30-40 mph.

When I got half way to the entrance, I saw a wind driven cart headed straight for my car (the only one out there) it was like the damn thing had a homing device! I did manage to run fast enough to get the cart but it just illustrates that your car is not safe anywhere.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM

walmart is DEFINATELY not a place to take a s2000 to.. unless it's 3 am and almost no ones there..
real sorry that happened tho
i'm a bit paranoid it'll happen to me someday soon..
Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM

Sad, but true. Any time you park in the lot of a store that doesn't have employees who take your cart out to your car for you and put your purchases in your car, "runaway shopping cart damage" is a possibility.

I do contend that it is the greatest at a Wal-Mart due to the number of customers who are hauling out their purchases in those carts, and the scarcity of employees to collect them. Once a few years ago, I pulled into a Wal-Mart lot with a shiny new car and noticed that all of the "put your carts here" slots were full and overflowing. Even if customers gave a damn, there was no safe place for them to put their cart. I left that store. Period.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-08-2006, 04:26 PM

I like the stores where you have to put a quarter in to get a shopping cart. You don't see a single shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot at those stores.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:54 PM

wow, no way I would park at a walmart, it is like an auto cross there!!!! Cars all goign crazy, honking people almost getting hit, ITs insane......never would drive my car there.................scary...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 PM

Yeah, maybe, but that's not quite where I'm going here. Everybody is "skating" past their legal duty these days, but it is the duty of a store owner to take certain steps to insure that its "business guests" are not injured on the premises, nor their property damagd. And it matters not whether it is a "high dollar" specialty store, or a deep discount "outlet." And making fellow customers pay to fulfill the store owner's duty to probvide a "safe place" for customers goes against my grain just a tad. And if the store is in an area with high winds probable? It is the store owner who is supposed to safeguard against damage caused by wind-blown carts, and not me. And the store owners are just hiding behind the fact that damages are usually too small for anybody to sue them. They save more money by being too cheap to hire a few minimum wage employees to take the carts out for the customers, load their cars, and insure the carts get back to the store.

I recently drove past the Wal-Mart in Yukon, Oklahoma which is probably one of the crappiest Wal-Marts in the world. Somebody was parked in their lot with a Ferrari F 50! I thought "if you can afford an F 50, can't you also afford to shop somewhere that respects the safety and property of the customers?" But no, the guy (or girl) shouldn't have to worry about where they shop, as all store owners have the same duty --- whether high or low dollar. And just because you can afford an F 50, should that mean that you don't want a bargain? After all, how else does one get to afford an F 50?

I think this is fertile ground for a lawsuit. But as I am retired from the practice of law, and have no desire to get into it again, I won't even park my '98 Ford Ranger in that lot --- let alone my s2k.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 03-08-2006, 05:08 PM

"SHYT HAPPENS" I gave up after the 8th or 9th scratch and dings! I can live with scratches and dings...what if I fix or repaint etc. etc. I'll eventually go to Walmart again.....and smack my forehead over and over with another ding...Oh well its just a honda.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:17 PM

well i've had my car for over a 1 1/2 years now and i don't have a single ding or dent on it.whenever i go places that have those compact parking spaces i always park way in the back away from other cars.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Walmart parking lots are horrible enough said! I'm sure they have some type of insurance for the parking lot. I mean we're talking about the biggest corporation in the world. But i'm sure with all the red tape involved, it wouldn't even be worth the hassle.

Quick Reply: damage done at walmart from shopping cart