S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Daily Drivers: Are you master of your domain?

Old 04-14-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Drivers: Are you master of your domain?

In honor of one of the great Seinfeld episodes (where friends compete to see who can hold out longest from spankin it ), I was thinking of seeing how long I can wait before hitting VTEC. 5 minutes? A day? A week? Imagine how cranky you would be after a MONTH of not hitting 6k rpm...

I don't think I could make it one commuting day, but I will give it a go. The funny thing is, the longer I seem to wait, the better VTEC feels.

How long can YOU hold out? Have you ever tried? I keep daring myself to do it, for gas mileage, but I just can't . Maybe if a group of us try it, I will be more motivated. Shoot, I only drive 2.5 hours a day on curvy roads through wine country. Thats like having the Swedish Bikini Team inviting you for a swim in the pool

Please tell me Im a freak and to not bother.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by webmaecker
In honor of one of the great Seinfeld episodes (where friends compete to see who can hold out longest from spankin it ), I was thinking of seeing how long I can wait before hitting VTEC.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:15 PM

Cold or rainy days make it easy not to hit VTEC for a day or three. The next warm, sunny day has every shift in VTEC though!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:18 PM

I don't think I've hit it this week. I bought the S for two distinct reasons:

1. To replace my Range Rover as a daily driver because the fuel mileage is spectacular.

2. Because I wanted a sports car. Not a poseur sports car, or a sporty car, but an honest to God, push you back into your seat sports car.

The problem is that fuel economy and VTEC don't go together very well. So I run in Honda Civic mode most of the time. Let the engine loaf along at 3k-4k with just the lightest bit of throttle. I give it some gas on sweeping turns, or highway on-ramps, etc. But other than that, I just baby it. Occasionally, I need to pass someone, or hit a hole in traffic, and I get it up around 5k or so.

I guess we all have different needs for our cars. For me, I left the need for 9k runs some time ago. I enjoy the heck out of the S, and will likely hit the VTEC sometime this month. Maybe. But what an awesome cruiser.

Sorry to disappoint the masses...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 PM

Just like what Kramer did on that episode. You win. I have to VTEC at least everytime I drive, if not for just a monentary rush.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 PM

once a month? someone get this guy some help
Old 04-15-2004, 06:33 AM

I've never hit VTECH....what is this vtech anyway?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SCoach
I don't think I've hit it this week.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 AM

I drive my S every day to work, but I can go probably a week without hitting vtec.

50km/h residential streets all the way to work....
Old 04-15-2004, 06:47 AM

For me, it's 25mph residential areas, or highway driving. And my destination is just right off the highway, so there's really no chance to do it.

That doesn't mean I make opportunities to do it, but I know I go a few days at least without doing it.

And with gas prices getting higher and higher, holding out is seeming like a better and better plan.

Quick Reply: Daily Drivers: Are you master of your domain?