S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

daily driver, honest opinions only please

Old 08-13-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in California, so my experience isn't going to be completely applicable to your case, but I'll spew it forth anyway...

My '02 S2000 is my daily driver - it currently has over 63k miles - and is fine in terms of comfort, reliability, and driving in the rain.

I've only driven it once in the snow when I took it snowboarding. Being a dumbass, I did this on summer tires, I believe Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. It was rather slippery... But I imagine that could be easily corrected with snow tires and more careful driving.

If you want it, I say to go for it.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:03 AM

if this is your only car and a daily driver, then no way. it's not just the snow. it's the incessant traffic, the rain, the people changing lanes into you... pretty much everything. i've had rear drive convertibles for the past many, many years, and they have never been my daily driver. i don't like to take it to work even on days when we get those afternoon downpours. it's not fun.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:11 AM

It's my only car therefore it's my daily driver and I don't mind it too much but I would rather have a nice two door coupe to drive on a daily basis.

I don't like driving the "S" in the rain because you really can't enjoy it (even with great tires). As far as comfort, it's pretty good...the seats are nice but I would prefer to have a bit more leg room.

Long distance drives aren't great...your back starts to hurt after 6-8 hours. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:14 AM

i daily drive my car and i put on a good 3000 miles a month. I tipically take road trips up too 500 miles. The seats suck a little bit after a coupe hours but i never regret(even on road trips) buying my s over a 3 series
Old 08-13-2004, 08:16 AM

Mine is a daily driver, and I really have very few complaints. I am able to easily fit a week's worth of clothes in the trunk (travel for work). I've sat in terrible NY traffic, for hours on end, and it's not uncomfortable. I've done 320 mile, one way, road trips (on one tank of gas) without a problem too (top down the whole time). The only real problem I faced was winter in the North East. I ended up renting a car for about 2 or 3 weeks, when the snow was bad. But that was because I didn't have M+S rated tires. I'd say that with the right tires and some common sense, you can get away with the car in the winter.

My biggest point of discomfort has come when I had the top down in 45 degree weather, doing highway speeds. . . it was damn cold. I bought the car in December and there was no way I could wait to get the top down. So, if you do use the S as a daily driver, just keep the top up in the winter and you'll be just fine.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Woodson,Aug 13 2004, 07:46 AM
The stories you read about how this car can't be winter driven are written by people who have either never tried it or are simply incompetent behind the wheel.
I agree. There are too many people that believe the S can't be driven in the winter simply because they choose not to. The S is very capable during the winter with the right set of tires.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spend about $600 on Blizzak winter tires and you'll do better then half the cars out on the road.

daily driver all the way!!

Old 08-13-2004, 08:57 AM

I use mine as a daily driver and I love it. Snow tires on separate rims are going cost you about $1,000 (tire rack) so you need to take that into consideration. I have driven it long distances (500 miles +) and it does pretty good. I am going to take my wifes car and get her a new one for the winter though.

John
Old 08-13-2004, 08:59 AM

I dont know about the guy from Arizona giving you advice about driving in snow?

I concur with most of the notherners recommending snow tires (not so much for the tread as for the rubber compound) Summer tires freeze up like hockey pucks around the freezing point and will become slippery even on dry roads.

Like many, i drive year round, and like you, mostly take public transit to work. I've yet to see a day where I couldn't take out my car in two years. The other benefit of the S as a daily driver, driving home with the top down is a great way to wind down after work.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:03 AM

I also use my car daily. It has about 27k miles on the 2002. I might also be biased because I live in California, but its great as a daily driver. I dont use any car, and I still enjoy driving back home from work with the top down.

Quick Reply: daily driver, honest opinions only please