S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

daily driver, honest opinions only please

Old 08-13-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daily driver, honest opinions only please

I need some honest opinions as I really would love to purchase an s2k as my daily driver for me here in the DC area. I have looked at just about every car conceivable, and its the only one that really keeps me coming back for more.
An excellent sports car paired with reliability makes for an awesome combination.

The reason why I haven't purchased one yet is because I am concerned with it being my only daily driver. Granted I take the metro to work 5 days a week so my car is only really used on the weekends. However, I do want to be able to make road trips to CT and NY to see my family in any season and have a slight fear the s2000 may inhibit this desire due to inclimate weather.

I very well aware that the s2k is a rear wheel drive sports car so it cant be as good in the snow as a car with AWD, but if do put snow tires (maybe even studded) on the car will it be able to get my through the winter safely and be used to take road trips, gasp, even in December? And what is it like having this car as a daily driver?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

mines not a daily driver but i do road trip in it.

as far as traveling there's a good amount of space in the truck, take the tool box out of the bottom and wrap up all the tools in rags or something... take adavatage of space under the seats (wine bottles fit there) and there's some space behind the seats.

Snow? Crazy car for the snow IMO... studded snows or not while it would be fun to slide around a bit (i'll do this) if i actually had to go someplace i'd say impossible.

People do use them as daily drivers so you'll get some input.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:24 AM

Concerning the snow issue; I just dont to be stuck under an over pass for hours to wait out the weather while driving down to NY/CT in the winter.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 AM

My wife uses ours as her daily driver in Houston. Of course we like firm riding cars owning the S and a heavily modded Miata and a MINI S.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My s2k is daily car( had 01 now 04). I drive olney to alexandria (near DC) everyday.
It's pretty comfortable for long trip and city driving.. good as my Accord(weenend car).

but.. I never drive s2k on snow..(even after snow, parking(tiny slope) lot with little snow left gave me very very hard time... grrr).
you need a 2nd car for snow day. or stay home.. heh

but.. my friend uses his s2k all year around.... amazing..
Old 08-13-2004, 07:39 AM

Do it and you will not regret it! I daily drive mine and love it. Space issue: like anything you wil get used to it. LIFE IS SHORT, PLAY HARD!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:42 AM

Stock SH, I think I need to talk to your friend to figure out how he does it
Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 AM

I used mine as a daily driver until I decided I wanted to try and keep the miles low on it. It is not very comfortable for long drives and the road noise gets to me sometimes, but I have real sensitive ears. About driving in the snow. I wouldn't want to do it, but if you have to just take it easy and be smart about it. The day I picked up my S from Evolution right after the supercharger was installed was the first day of the year which we had some snow. There were a few inches on the ground and I did slide a little while making turns. I made it home (40 minute drive without snow) which include roads from small highways and to large 4 lane highways and small hilly back roads. You just need to be careful.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used mine for ~2mths now as a daily driver. Works great. I've owned Porches, Lotus Elan, Sunbeam Alpine and used all of them as daily drivers, so I might be biased.

Snow tires or a good all season are a must. If you watch the weather, and don't travel North when it's snowing all season would work fine. I drive a Camaro Z28 w/4 snows in the winter (6 spd) and like the handling. Remember w/All wheel drive all this does it make you go easier, does nothing for stopping!

The real issue for a daily driver is can you live with a 2 seat car/limited trunk room. Everything else is great. (My wife drives a V70, T5 which is our family car).

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:46 AM

Piece of cake, however dedicated snow tires are an absolute must. I have daily driven mine for two winters and there have been a grand total of two days that I couldn't drive it due to clearance issues. If the search worked you could do a search and find that there are endless stories about how capable this car is on snow (and a ton of fun). The stories you read about how this car can't be winter driven are written by people who have either never tried it or are simply incompetent behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: daily driver, honest opinions only please