S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cruise control + rain = trouble!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VSA FTW!

-a
Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought it was bad to hit the brake when your tail starts to break loose because it causes weight transfer to the front causing less traction in the rear................ i dont know...
Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tee-Dub,Mar 9 2008, 12:03 PM
This car isn't that powerful that it will just break em loose when the cruise kicks in.
Read my second post in this thread for a description of the problem. Hydroplaning alone is dangerous, but hydroplaning with the cruise control on will kill you. Granted 99% of the time you can drive in the rain without hydroplaning, and good tires help. Good luck, and hopefully you won't post one of those I spun my car in the rain threads.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub,Mar 9 2008, 12:03 PM
This car isn't that powerful that it will just break em loose when the cruise kicks in.
Power has nothing to do with it. If your car is going 40 and your tires are spinning at 60, you're going to spin when the rubber makes contact with the road again.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I'm sure my cruise is going to kill me. Sure, if you're in pouring rain and have your cruise set at 80mph or something, maybe, but that is more a factor of your speed than anything. If this was such a huge and well known problem, manufacturers wouldn't put cruise control on their vehicles.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:48 PM

Been there AHNOLD!!!

This happened to me on my prevous 01 S2K, and I learned to NEVER have cruise control on with a RWD car in rain where there could be any type of hydoplaning possible. I was going up a hill with cruise on 65, it wasn't raining, but there was still water on the roads, and the car began to slow down, the back kicked in, I hit a big puddle, hydroplaned, and pressed on the brakes once I realized I was gonna lose control. You just have to be smart and careful that's all.

Now my Speed 6 and it's AWD, really makes a BIG difference, and really, I don't see any problem, as that car is about 50 times better in rain then my S2K. It's not a good idea to use cruise in heavy rain, but when it's a RWD car, it's an even BIGGER NO NO!!!

Fact is though, my S2K is THE WORST bad weather car I HAVE EVER OWNED, likely because of the stock tires. This can be a very dangerous car in the rain, so you have to go slow and be careful, and you definitely can't use cruise control in it.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Reading this thread got me so excited I'm posting for the first time in about a year

My 2002 owner's manual has the following to say about cruise control:

" ... It should be used on straight, open highways. It is not recommended for conditions such as city driving, winding roads, slippery roads, heavy rain, or bad weather. You should have full control of the car under those conditions."

and ...

"WARNING: Improper use of the cruise control can lead to a crash. Use the cruise control only when traveling on open highways in good weather."
Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only use cruise control in the rain if i have tires that have between 500 and 3000 miles on them
Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 243 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sjrick777,Mar 9 2008, 08:20 PM
Reading this thread got me so excited I'm posting for the first time in about a year

" ... It should be used on straight, open highways. It is not recommended for conditions such as city driving, winding roads, slippery roads, heavy rain, or bad weather. You should have full control of the car under those conditions."

and ...

"WARNING: Improper use of the cruise control can lead to a crash. Use the cruise control only when traveling on open highways in good weather."

Come on, now, you know no one reads the owner's manual.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by sjrick777,Mar 9 2008, 05:20 PM

and ...

thats the first thing that poped into my head reading this
Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 AM

Some of us work very hard NOT to read that thing. And now I've been tricked into reading 2 paragraphs worth. Next time insert a -SPOILER- warning or something.

Quick Reply: Cruise control + rain = trouble!