S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Creaking Seats

Old 10-29-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking Seats

Hi - I am new to the forums and a new S2000 owner (04 Stock). I have been very pleased with the car but have noticed a very persistant creaking sound from near the top of the seats, driver and passenger, that is definitely tied to normal motions when driving, and is understandable much louder with the top up. The car has such a tight frame and is so quite otherwise, that it is disappointing that this should be so noticible. I was wondering is anyone else has noticed this and, if so, found a way to cure it?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

move the seat forward 1 notch
Old 10-29-2004, 03:47 PM

I'll give it a try - I have it back to the stops right now. It's definitely related to torsional movements - maybe flexing of the frame.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:59 PM

dude, its the headrest hitting the roll bars.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:05 PM

I wish I could figure out this damn creaking, too.

My '01 NEVER made these sounds. My '04 creaks really bad going over uneven pavement... sounds like it's coming from both seats. I've double checked that my seats are not rubbing against anything behind them, as well as making sure the passanger seat belt isn't hitting the door when it's resting there.

Any other ideas?

I also have a really annoying rattle coming from the latch on my "glovebox"
Old 10-29-2004, 04:21 PM

Its the seatbelt rubbing back and forth on the leather, just past the plastic holder that's on the seat. Incidentally, are you using Zym
Old 10-29-2004, 04:24 PM

On my 04 the creaking is the shoulder belt rubbing against the leather seat. I'm going to try to put something between the seat and the belt where it is rubbing.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Revenuer,Oct 29 2004, 07:24 PM
On my 04 the creaking is the shoulder belt rubbing against the leather seat. I'm going to try to put something between the seat and the belt where it is rubbing.
mine does that -

maybe a small felt pad at the place where the belt & seat are making contact. I had Wet Okole covers on the seats for the summer & didn't get the seat belt contact sound until I took the covers off.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:55 PM

Hi - checking back in. I tried r_duff's suggestion (move the seat forward a notch) - and it makes a big difference. After looking at it harder, I'm pretty sure that the problem is contact between the back of the seat and the plastic hooks (to hang a net bag perhaps?) that are located on the wall behind. I know that leather tends to creak, particularly when new, but this was much louder, and I think the fact that it appears to be a point contact is the answer. I was wondering why my wife could never hear it when she was driving - she sits several inches forward! Guess I will try some padding - or just stay forward a notch. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by penga,Oct 29 2004, 08:55 PM
Hi - checking back in. I tried r_duff's suggestion (move the seat forward a notch) - and it makes a big difference. After looking at it harder, I'm pretty sure that the problem is contact between the back of the seat and the plastic hooks (to hang a net bag perhaps?) that are located on the wall behind. I know that leather tends to creak, particularly when new, but this was much louder, and I think the fact that it appears to be a point contact is the answer. I was wondering why my wife could never hear it when she was driving - she sits several inches forward! Guess I will try some padding - or just stay forward a notch. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am pretty sure the problem is really the shoulder belt rubbing just in front of the plastic belt holder on the wing. The problem decreased because you moved the seat and changed the angle, but the contact is probably still there.

cheers

W

Quick Reply: Creaking Seats