S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

CRASHED! WRECKED! (Long)

Old 02-28-2001, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That sounds quite horrific Mario. I'm so glad you came out of it in relatively safe shape. I know you're hurting some, but thank God you made it out in one piece. Things could have been a lot worse, but you're going to be good as new pretty quickly. Amazing how much abuse the body can take, and still be able to bounce back so well.

At least you can be grateful for having a pretty solid motor around you. I hope for your sake that the insurance company will do the right thing and retire your baby to that S2K heaven in the sky, and that they'll comp you for all those extras you've installed. At least if they do that you'll have the pleasure of choosing a new color for the replacement. Wish you luck on getting the insurance sorted soon, and hope that you'll recover quickly too.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:03 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Mario:
I shot you off an e-mail. Lemme know if you got it or can get it. If not drop me a line either at home/cell/work/e-mail. Glad your OK. I figured most of the mods were done to the front end of your car were toast. All things can be fixed/replaced.

Just be glad your ok and alive you got little ones on the way!

I would be interested in seeing pictures/movie.

I got one question.....did youever take your car into the shop to get the seatbelt recall? Since it made such an impression on you.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:04 PM

Mario, glad to hear back from you. BTW, your accident was reported by Rick Hesel last week so many of our concerns were shown in the following thread if you would like to read.
http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=7759
Old 02-28-2001, 12:12 PM

Hi Mario

Sorry to hear about your accident. You may want to get your homeowner's policy involved for the aftermarket things which your auto policy refuses to cover. I'd also let the carrier know that you don't think the car is fixable, and that if they fix it, the value of the car will be substantially diminished, and demand that the loss of the diminution of value be covered. I'd also consider getting an expert to take a look at it, if he pronounces that key structural components have been damaged and if straightened will be weakened and non-crashworthy, you may have a stronger argument for your insurance co to total it. Alternatively, they can fix it and resell it, but get you a replacement vehicle of similar mileage and condition to yours before the crash.

Get yourself a good lawyer, he/she should help you with all these problems. Good luck. Feel better. Get a new S2000.

2x6spds
Old 02-28-2001, 12:18 PM

What company are you insured with?
Old 02-28-2001, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that you survived...

Get an independant car inspection which states that the frame is damaged and the car would be unsafe if fixed because of its unique size and frame design. I don't think that would be difficult. Present it to the insurance company and if they still disagree let them know you're prepared to go to court to collect since its a matter of safety and you'd never feel safe driving a high performance car this small with a damaged frame. Once the frame is damaged you can never really get the handling and alignment corrected.

I find it so ridiculous that you pay month after month without question on insurance to insure your car will be replaced in the event of an accident and then when something bad does occur, they try to wiggle out of it.

I mean, if you are going to play the game (of insuring things) then you have to be prepared to pay when you lose. Its gambling for them...unfortunately they have the ability to weasel out of their debts. It makes me so mad!

-B
Old 02-28-2001, 12:50 PM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Sorry to hear about your injuries. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

A couple of insurance ideas.

Did the other driver get cited for her violation?

Regarding the insurance company, you may try to speak with the total loss group directly to find the parameters they work with.

If you can convince them to weigh the damages against the msrp value of the car (instead of the modded value) you may stand a better chance of getting them to total the car.

You still are entitled to the value of the mods, just provide a list of items with the full installed cost.

Best of luck
Old 02-28-2001, 12:56 PM

Dude, sorry to hear about this tragic incident...Hope you are starting to feel better physically.

Would love to see some pictures. Please e-mail them to me at fk@winzero.com. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mario,

I'm glad you're feeling well enough to post. I hope you didn't mind my posting news of the accident the day we talked and letting people know that you were ok and that your sense of humor had not been damaged.

Glad you're back.

Rick
Old 02-28-2001, 03:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you're OK. What you need to do immediately is get a lawyer! Do not say another word to anyone even associated with an insurance company. I went through the exact same experience with my wife's infiniti. I went to the insurance company's "recommended" repair facility. The estimate was deliberately written low ($3000) to make the car seem fixable. The final bill was over $11,000. The "recommended" shops work with the insurance companies to make money for the shop and save money for the insurance companies. Insurance companies save millions by cheating people like you and I out of hundreds. Demand a new car from day one and accept nothing less. Insist that you will sue for diminished value of a repaired vehicle and for your pain and suffering if your demands are not met. As a physician I deal with insurance companies on a constant basis, you have no idea the length they will go to save a buck at your expense. As much as I have a distrust for many attorneys you need one now.

Quick Reply: CRASHED! WRECKED! (Long)