S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

CRASHED! WRECKED! (Long)

Old 02-28-2001, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Thursday at 6:40 AM I got into a pretty bad accident with my S.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?...55162&f=0&vt=vp
(more pictures)

I was on the Main Rd which leads to my train station driving at the posted speed limit when a women (no offensive intended) failed to give the right of way and blew out of a side street at high speed. She never even bothered to look if anyone was approaching or slowing down. I was still on my accelerator when we hit. She was driving a Hunter Green 2000 Subaru Forester. The accident happened so fast, that I never even had a chance to brake. All I remember seeing was this green wall out of nowhere. And I remember thinking to myself "this is going to hurt!"

My S ended up hitting her squarely on the her driver's side rear wheel. Since I had took the brunt of the hit head on, both my airbags deployed. I sware to you I could see the airbags deploying frame by frame. After the initial impact it was like everything slowed down. My car spun around and ended up facing the opposite direction I was just traveling.

I will be posting pictures as soon as Photopoint.com is back up. I even have video taken short after the accident. I was still in my car waiting to get extracted. I was pinned down by the steering wheel and my driving foot was pinched under the accelerator. I was taken to the hospital and released 5 hours later. I prained my neck and shoulder from whipping forward. I have a nasty bruise across my chest from the selt belt harness holding me back. I luckily didn't break my ankle , but I managed to severily sprain it as well. I have a banged up knee. It probably hit the dash at some point. But most importantly enough, I am alive. I can't tell you how important it is to always where your seat belt.

As far as Vehicle Damage goes...the car is fudged up. The unibody is definitely bent. The reinforced framing around the windshield shows signs of flexing and bending. The car looks like someone took a bite out of the front driver's side. The two front rims are cracked. The Hood Cracked! Front bumper schattered! Front Driver's fender crumbled. Front suspension gone. Both doors no longer line up with the framing. If you look at the car from the back it looks fine.

Now I have a major struggle with my insurance company. As many of you know, I have put in at least $15,000 into the car in additions. And I have all the receipts to prove it. They keep telling me that they want to try to fix the car. Quite honestly I don't want the car fixed. In my eyes the car is totaled. Either way the car will never be the same.

If anyone wants pictures, I could foward them an email with some pictures and movies.

[Edited by Power6Spd on 03-01-2001 at 06:08 PM]
Old 02-28-2001, 11:31 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hate to hear about the crash but I'm glad you're okay.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:31 AM

Important thing is that you were able to write this post....and you're alive. How did the lady in the Forester fare?

Sorry about your accident and hope everything works out...especially with the insurance company!

Mike
Old 02-28-2001, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about the accident and glad you are doing ok physically. how is she? and the other car? was she hospitalized?

I know about being pinned in cars - that isn't fun at all - even though I don't really remember being pinned in a car, 'they' tell me I was pinned in for just under two hours. But I dont want to get into that. How were you extracted?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very interested to know. After all, this is a reminder out there to everyone that even if you do drive the speed limit and drive safely, unfortunate things can happen due to other drivers' incompetencies at the moment.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:37 AM

The woman in the car was also taken to the hospital and released within an hour. I sware I must be glowing from all the x-rays they took. It looks like I will be in an air cast and neck brace for awhile.

But I promise to return better than ever.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:43 AM

Mario, drinks are on me when you get back to work in the city. Glad to hear that you are ok.

-- Tom
Old 02-28-2001, 11:44 AM

Power6Spd, glad your ok. A question though. Why are you dealing w/your insurance? If the other driver failed to yield right of way, shouldn't their insurance cover your damages?
Old 02-28-2001, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no matter how painful it might seem and how drained you might be - take it easy in the cast - make sure that everything is ok.

in my circumstance, I was released too early - they just pushed me to walk and once I could stand on two feet, they released me. after that I spent months in a rehab hospital where they discovered internal bleeding from the closed head injury and a fractured SI joint which was worse once I got to the rehab hospital because they pushed me to walk so much. so...take it easy.

the car is a great car, but it just a car - so don't worry about that. the funds you put into it and the toy itself are replaceable - you aren't. and I'm glad you are ok.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:48 AM

I'm glad to see that you are OK. Hope things work out with the insurance company and your recovery.

SEATBELTS! It's not only the law in Texas, it's just smart.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Silver S2K
Power6Spd, glad your ok. A question though. Why are you dealing w/your insurance? If the other driver failed to yield right of way, shouldn't their insurance cover your damages?
He must deal with his insurance company to make sure that all of his modifications are covered (usually they are NOT) to get all of his money back.

Power6spd,

Glad to see that you were (essentiall) able to walk away from the accident . Another testimant to the power of wearing a seatbelt. I was in a head-on collision and also know how important it is to wear a seatbelt.

Good luck. Hope you are able to get a new S2K soon!!

Quick Reply: CRASHED! WRECKED! (Long)