S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cracked my plastic rear window yesterday...

Old 10-28-2005, 04:58 AM
dcg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDre1443,Oct 27 2005, 05:17 PM
they might as long as they can understand it wont cost anything extra and you assume liability for future issues. the window runs about 200 I believe and a new top w/ glass can be had for 750-850 depending where you buy
Thanks. I asked when I dropped the car off about the possibility of getting glass, and they said they'd have to look into it. I should be hearing from them today.

It was my understanding that it is possible to switch out the window (replace it with glass) without replacing the entire top. Is this incorrect?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dcg,Oct 28 2005, 06:58 AM
It was my understanding that it is possible to switch out the window (replace it with glass) without replacing the entire top. Is this incorrect?
I believe the whole top must be replaced to get glass.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:46 AM

I remember eons ago a thread about dealerships not using the correct material to clean the plastic windows. They were only conecerned about getting them clear. Whatever they used made the window brittle. If the car was in the up or down position for too long then the window would crack or get a seam.

This was long before the car was mainstream and I hadn't had anything remind me of it in years untill this thread.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 PM
dcg

Update - Honda Care denied my claim. The guy from my dealership gave me the number to Honda customer service, I called them, gave them my info, told them what happened, and they said they'd contact my dealership and get back to me. 5 minutes later, I got a call and was told it'd be covered.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a related subject of care of plastic rear windows, so they won't crack in above freezing temps, try rubbing them down with 303 on both sides. Then let the 303 soak a bit, and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. The window will still have a few smears at this point. Then rub it down with Plexus and a microfiber to remove the smears. This will protect the window from UV rays, which make it brittle and yellowish, and prone to cracking.

In fact, my plastic window so treated even folds correctly when I lower to top, so I don't get those weird creases in it, and is soft and clear as a bel after over four years.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-01-2005, 02:49 AM
dcg

Thanks Richard, how to properly take care of the plastic window was going to be my next question. How frequently do you clean the window?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:32 AM

As my s2k is garaged, I apply the 303 once every year or so, but do the cleaning with Plexus every time I wash. You see, the Plexus has some softening and UV protection qualities also.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-01-2005, 07:37 AM
dcg

Thanks...with any luck, this actually won't even be an issue for me.

I called my customer service rep this morning and asked if I could get the glass window instead of plastic and just pay the difference, and she said no problem. Just waiting to hear from my dealership what the cost difference will be. They were apparently planning on replacing the entire top regardless. Anyone know how much the difference is between a full top with glass and a full top with plastic?

edit: Difference on hardtopguy.com is about $160, is that what I should expect?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:46 AM

The pre-owned warranty does NOT cover wear items, this includes the top. The extended warranty will NOT cover this either.

Occasionally Honda USA will replace the top free as a "good will" act if its a recently purchased car with certified pre-owned... but not always, and they aren't required to.

I learned this when my top was damaged. BTW it turned out to be split, no cut as I originally thought.

But, like you Honda did replace it. Smart of them, because the next time I'm looking for a new car they'll be high on my list
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM

I have tint on my window looks good!

Quick Reply: Cracked my plastic rear window yesterday...