S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cracked my plastic rear window yesterday...

Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 AM
dcg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked my plastic rear window yesterday...

Put the top down yesterday and heard two loud cracks as it was folding down....sure enough, when I put it back up I had a crack vertically down the center and horizontally across pretty much the entire window. I did a search and saw some comments of slashed rear windows but not much about them cracking just by putting the top down; is this a common occurence?

2 questions:

1. I'm assuming this will be covered under the CPO warranty?

2. If so, do I have any chance of getting them to use a glass replacement rather than plastic?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How cold was it when you put the top down?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:33 AM
dcg

It was a little chilly but not too bad. Normally I wouldn't have had it down, but I had someone following me and wanted to make sure I didn't lose them, and the window is pretty tough to see out of at this point (just bought the car two weeks ago and haven't had a chance to really clean it up, it was in pretty bad shape.)
Old 10-27-2005, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man... that sucks.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The owner's manual stipulates that below a designated temp, you are NOT to use the top up or down. If you used your top at or below this temp, it won't be a warranty claim.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:34 AM
dcg

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 27 2005, 06:28 AM
The owner's manual stipulates that below a designated temp, you are NOT to use the top up or down. If you used your top at or below this temp, it won't be a warranty claim.
Aha....well the thing is, they haven't actually GIVEN me a manual yet, as they didn't have it when I bought the car and had to order one.

Any idea what this designated temperature is?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:00 AM

Buying a used vehicle, there is no onus upon the seller to provide an owner's manual.

Here is the "NOTICE" from the '00 owner's manual .......................
* Do not operate the convertible top in freezing weather. You can damage the material and mechanism of the convertible top.

* Do not operate the top if it is wet, dirty, or covered with ice or snow.

* Never drive the car with convertible top half open.

* Do not lower or raise the top while the engine is running.

* Do not operate the convertible top if the car is raised on the jack, a hoist, or on jack stands.

I think Honda uses the phrase "freezing weather" rather than a specific temperature in degrees because taking into consideration windchill factor, it can freeze above the standard accepted temp of 32*F.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:14 AM
dcg

Thanks for the info xviper. I know it was nowhere near 32*f when I opened it. I'm taking the car in tonight, so I guess I'll find out soon enough if they'll cover it.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 27 2005, 11:00 AM
* Do not lower or raise the top while the engine is running.

* Do not operate the convertible top if the car is raised on the jack, a hoist, or on jack stands.
Wow, I do these two all the time. Pretty much every time I lower the top my engine is running. My thinking (possibly flawed) is that I'm doing the battery a favor by charging it at the same time instead of just drawing on the sitting battery.

I'm also guilty of lowering the top while on jack stands or a lift. It's just easier to enter and exit the car while the top is down and the car is up in the air.

Please tell me not following these two guidelines is going to make my top spontaneously combust or something.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by dcg,Oct 27 2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the info xviper. I know it was nowhere near 32*f when I opened it. I'm taking the car in tonight, so I guess I'll find out soon enough if they'll cover it.
I wish you good luck. If you have an extended warranty that was transferred to you, you might just get it done. However, if you don't have an extended, the basic warranty is likely over given the model year of your car as indicated below your username.

Quick Reply: Cracked my plastic rear window yesterday...