S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Couple noobie questions

Old 11-12-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple noobie questions

I just took ownership of a 2002.

It's from carmax so I can take it back in 5 days if I want so I didn't look it over too hard at the site. When I got home I looked it over a bit more and noticed that there is no rear license plate lens. Just a blank hole. Anyone know where I can get another one of these and how much it would cost?

The car also came with a K&N intake. My theory with high performance cars is that intake and exhaust mods usually only hurt you in gas mileage and power. My jeep has a K&N but the intake on it is really restrictive. Is it worth it to have it in there or should I get a stock box to put in there?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a K&N FIPK (intake), and it's pretty much a sound mod. They say you get 5-10 hp, not very noticable. It just matters what you like, if it's too loud you can always buy the original intake from someone online for pretty cheap and put it in yourself. Most people say that it does not hurt your gas mileage, that sometimes it improves it. If you want a stock car I would take it back and look for another one.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 AM
jah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k&n, for their re usable filters, has cans of cleaner and oil and this really works. wash the filter w/ the cleaner, let it completely dry and apply the oil. if you dont plan to do this replace the k&N with the oem system, it works to.

some after market air intake systems are more susceptible to flooding in heavy rain situations. bet the oem is not immune to this as well.

mount the rear license plate directly to the car w/o a rear license plate lens. instead think of your plan on other issues:
-most people remove the front license plate, hardtopguy.com has filler plastic caps.
-look hard at your rear tire, usually the first to go out, replace with some tirerack.com Kumho. on near bald tires the s2k dosnt like the rain.
-apply 303 to the cloth top (see forum for methods), lexol to the leather seats
-you should consider replacing the fluids:
synthetic oil or not, new filter and better than average oil, ck it often, some s2k use oil, not a bad tho.
transmission and rear diff oils, use oem honda products here unless you have an opinion otherwise.
-replace the plugs, know the torque spec for your year s2k, stick to the honda recommendations.

a few year back some one t-boned my jeep, did me a favor actually. the s2k is a trackable sport car, different that jeep ownership so have fun.