S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

could use some help with this decision

Old 05-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default could use some help with this decision

If anyone recalls, I have posted many threads about the issues with my transmission. second and third are very notchy and third has a very noticeable bump when you pass the gate, like im hitting something. Also, when stopped at a light, when i press the clutch to put the car in first, often, it wont go into first gear, ill have to release the clutch and try to put it in first again for it to go. This has destroyed the driving experience for me to the point where i dont even enjoy driving the car anymore cause all i do is worry about my shifting. everyone glorifies this transmission as being butter smooth and mine is not...

I have tried every suggestion in this forum to fix it over the past year, slave and master fixes, rusted spline issue, fast shifting, slow shifting, centering the shift knob before going into third, shift above 5.5k, even changed the clutch to a brand new one, different type of oils, just put the GM synchromesh with friction modifiers in it and the notchiness is still there. its either a worn synchro issue or bent clutch fork and both require a rebuild to fix

Anyway, what it boils down to is rebuild the tranny, dont want to buy a used one even with low miles in fear of not knowing how it was treated before me, which will cost another $1,500 or more on top of the nearly 10K ive already spent on the cars modifications, or sell it and buy a new car with warranty. Ive had my eyes on the new 5.0...fast as shit, brand new, warranty, and from my research on the car, its very mechanically sound but the interior just seems to be a lot of plastics, which isnt really a problem for me a the car looks badass and has 420 to the crank on tap.

Just looking for opinions on what the smartest decision, would be. selling the car would give me a nice down payment on the mustang. I still have 10k left to pay on it to the bank so that would leave me 8-10K down payment on the mustang.

Please, offer your honest opinion cause right now i really have no clue if i should let this car go or keep it and continue to sink money into it..its a 2003 with 70k miles on it and in perfect condition aside from this tranny issue
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that you don't enjoy driving the car anymore, I'm thinking it will take a lot to bring you back to the point of enjoying it. Even if you throw money at it, you will still have in the back of your mind the doubt that there is some basic problem with this car. When I also read your statement about 420 on tap at the crank, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you are turned on by that much horsepower. The reality is, the S2000 is all about balance and precision, and not about horsepower. My recommendation would be to pull the plug on the S and go for something that you really want.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the clutch wasn't bled properly and still has air bubbles in it. Talk to Billman250 about this.
The following users liked this post:
Drift dat (04-12-2019)
Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by S2KMick
Given that you don't enjoy driving the car anymore, I'm thinking it will take a lot to bring you back to the point of enjoying it. Even if you throw money at it, you will still have in the back of your mind the doubt that there is some basic problem with this car. When I also read your statement about 420 on tap at the crank, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you are turned on by that much horsepower. The reality is, the S2000 is all about balance and precision, and not about horsepower. My recommendation would be to pull the plug on the S and go for something that you really want.
that power stock, brand new, with full warranty is very attractive!! what you said is exactly how i feel though...i will always think there is something wrong with the transmission with this and if i rebuild it and the problem is still there cause thats just how these cars are, then i really dont want the car any longer.

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Sounds like the clutch wasn't bled properly and still has air bubbles in it. Talk to Billman250 about this.
Hopefully he chimes in here but ive talked with him in threads before and he says that all s2000's do it. however, with all threads ive made, ive had countless people tell me they do not feel any bump in third gear regardless of the rpm they shift at. ive had shops bleed the clutch so I would assume they are doing it correctly. I have never done it myself though so maybe i will try that if billman or someone else really thinks thats the problem
Old 05-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

My opinion:

pull it and LS swap it or rebuild an AP2 trans, the carbon lined syncros are a tad nicer. (Check with syncrotech if they make S2000 syncros or not)

My transmission is like a female: she's notchy at times and smooth like butter the rest of the time.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic9
Just looking for opinions on what the smartest decision, would be. selling the car would give me a nice down payment on the mustang.
I wouldn't touch a Mustang. You really have to decide where your priorities lie and act on them versus polling others. If you determine that a Mustang is the way to go then go with it.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

It all comes down to what kind of car you really want. I know that can be tricky. We can often enjoy the attributes of very different genres equally. You can relish the balance, precision, and top down glory of the S, but also enjoy the shear muscle and cornering momentum of a car like a stang (me trying to describe the way big cars that can still pull G's feel around corners).

So you have to decide which of these feelings and responses you value more. Which negative aspects you are currently more willing to tolerate, and which positive aspects have more cachet to overcome them.

Having come to the S from a muscle car, I know exactly where I personally fall on that scale, and have no doubts about the suitability of the S for my current desires. Here's to hoping you find your place on that scale.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Sorry, another stupid mobile app dup post.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the responses so far guys! I know this is a decisions I have to make I always like to have the opinion of others who have no bias in the matter....

I really do love the s...but this tranmssion issue with not knowing if I have a problem or not, and risking throwing away thiousands on a rebuild or used one and still having the same problem is extremely frustrating to say the least

I'm
Looking for a dd that is reliable, fast and don't have to worry about, so far in my experience with the s, the s is not that
Old 05-28-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic9
Thanks for the responses so far guys! I know this is a decisions I have to make I always like to have the opinion of others who have no bias in the matter....

I really do love the s...but this tranmssion issue with not knowing if I have a problem or not, and risking throwing away thiousands on a rebuild or used one and still having the same problem is extremely frustrating to say the least

I'm
Looking for a dd that is reliable, fast and don't have to worry about, so far in my experience with the s, the s is not that
Can you hang on for another 5-6 months? If yes, do so - a lot of new cars on the horizon that may ease your choice.

Just some of the top of my head; new nissan Z, new camaro, new mustang, new bmw 1 series.

If I was in your situation and could wait, I'd wait and see about those cars, if I had to jump ship immedietly - consider the 370z or the 5.0 stang, 370 would be the best compromise though, still have your power and don't have as much mass.

Quick Reply: could use some help with this decision