S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Could this be the fastest SPORTS car?

Old 04-05-2001 | 01:22 AM

Having owned the S2000 (now onto my second) since Aug'99 I think I have a pretty accurate idea about this car's performance, and I'm absolutely convinced that it's one of (if not the) fastest cars in the world - IF you can keep it in the VTEC band.
Lots of posts - on this and other boards - go on and on and ON about 0-60mph or standing quarter mile times, but I don't think those figures have much relevance to owning the S2000 as a driver's car. Most of us acknowledge that this car just doesn't burst off the blocks the way the torque-grunties do: but that's just the nature of the car. Tell me, who can measure/quantify the acceleration and speed of the car in real-world sports car driving conditions? I don't think anyone can do that.
Here in NZ we have a blanket 100km/hr speed limit and on major roads it's crazy to exploit the car's full potential, not if you want to keep your licence at any rate. But we also have thousands of miles of quiet back-country roads which, generally, are not 'patrolled' and on which you can genuinely relish the car's performance.
I'm talking here about tight, windy, usually well sealed roads with little or no traffic and unbelievable bad luck if you happen to come across a cop.
The point is that on such roads, keeping the car in the VTEC band in 1st-3rd - maybe short bursts in 4th - gears is incredibly exhilarating and I would question whether even Ferraris or Porsches would be any faster (let alone the Beamers).
The combination of top end power delivery, traction, chassis rigidity, braking - oh, the braking!!, steering and handling is just awesome. And you're still not breaking the speed limits - by much.
And yet it's still docile and placid enough to go to the supermarket in. If I had one I certainly wouldn't do that in a Ferrari.

Montecarlo Blue - May 2000
Old 04-05-2001 | 02:50 AM

Hey! Where in NZ are you? I'm in auckland! U mightve seen my plate KID S2K (silver/black). I was S2070. you?
Old 04-05-2001 | 04:20 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Nice choice that Montecarlo Blue. I bought mine in June 2000. Wonder how close our VINs are?
Old 04-05-2001 | 05:08 AM

WTF????

-you question whether ferrari's or porsches can keep up? They will blow the freakin doors off the S2000. A big fat corvette will too.

S2000's are nice and fairly quick, but far far from the fastest.
Old 04-05-2001 | 05:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scot
[B]WTF????
Old 04-05-2001 | 05:45 AM

The S2K may not be the fastest, but for $32k nothing for the money is going to touch it. Light to light is not its strong point, but a good race on a twisty back road will prove it to be a strong competitor to much higher priced cars.
Old 04-05-2001 | 06:13 AM

You guys with M.Blue suck! Just kidding, I love that color. Hopefully it'll be my "weekend" Stook sometime in the future. Can't wait to have 2 Stooks side by side, what a picture.

And yes, skill can bring out the best this car has to offer, and for what it costs and the relatively low power it has, it's performance potential is staggering when measured as a whole.

Andrew
Old 04-05-2001 | 06:29 AM

I think that Honda did a misjudice to the S2000 with the overly long gearing it put into the car. You can only legally VTEC in the first two gears!!

I'd think that a shorter final ratio would make the car even faster and more fun than it already is.
Old 04-05-2001 | 07:39 AM
Former Moderator
20 Year Member

I disagree. While Honda could have shortened the gears a bit this would limit the top end. Now I'm not saying that I want to go 150+ on a regular basis but I like knowing that I can given the opportunity. Also, Honda specifically geared the car so that once you're in VTEC you need never leave it when shifting. Considering that the car is capable of running sub 14 second 1/4 miles despite the fact that it isn't an off the line racer I think Honda balanced the gearing well.
Old 04-05-2001 | 07:53 AM

As much as I love the S2K, if you think that it's the fastest sports car in the world you are smoking something very potent. It's a quick car and a great value, but Ferraris, the Vette Z06 and Porsches (not the Boxsters) are in a different league.

Quick Reply: Could this be the fastest SPORTS car?