S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

convertible top latch adjustment

Old 07-30-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up convertible top latch adjustment

the latch that holds down the top on the drivers side doesnt quite pull the top down tight. there must be some kind of adjustment. (MY00)
Old 07-30-2004, 01:01 PM

The strikers are the only adjustment point I think. But did you get the TSB done replacing the latches with hardtop latches? This had to be done to mine when they weren't tugging the top down hard enough.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:21 PM

i do have a hard top. what TSB ? are latches different with the hard top ?
Old 07-30-2004, 01:26 PM

I'm curious too. Mine latches are loose and make a lot of noise. Can it be tightened or are new latches needed?
Old 07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
jfo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Someone gave me a tip. You put silicone tubing, like aquarium air hose, on the hook and that will tighten the latch. This tip was given to me months ago and I still haven't done it ---- I don't have the top up! So I am not positive it works but it sounds like it will do the trick.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:55 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfo,Jul 30 2004, 01:56 PM
Someone gave me a tip. You put silicone tubing, like aquarium air hose, on the hook and that will tighten the latch. This tip was given to me months ago and I still haven't done it ---- I don't have the top up! So I am not positive it works but it sounds like it will do the trick.

Good luck.
thats what i did... my top is always down unless i am washing the car though-
but i can tell you that the rubber tubing does snug up the top so that it fits right.

there is an adjustment, but its not easy to do... i tried and gave up. tubing is very easy to do! and cheap
Old 07-30-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkenn,Jul 30 2004, 01:21 PM
i do have a hard top. what TSB ? are latches different with the hard top ?
For the early MY00 cars (those that were not hard-top-ready), the strikers that came with the car were different. So if you had a hard-top installed, the strikers were replaced. Later MY00 cars (those that were hard-top-ready) were manufactured with the hard-top strikers already installed. Since you already have a hard-top, your strikers should be just fine. For those with the MY00 but no hard-top, you can ask your dealer to replace the strikers with the hard-top version -- there is a TSB about this, but I cannot remember the details because it was a long time ago.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Jul 30 2004, 06:51 PM
For the early MY00 cars (those that were not hard-top-ready), the strikers that came with the car were different. So if you had a hard-top installed, the strikers were replaced. Later MY00 cars (those that were hard-top-ready) were manufactured with the hard-top strikers already installed. Since you already have a hard-top, your strikers should be just fine. For those with the MY00 but no hard-top, you can ask your dealer to replace the strikers with the hard-top version -- there is a TSB about this, but I cannot remember the details because it was a long time ago.
I'm talking about the latches, not the strikers. My latches were actually replaced with hardtop latches, and I have an '01. It is a TSB.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:46 AM

My '01 that the TSB done in '02, and is loose again now.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the thing with the strikers is that the earlier ones were a soft metal, and they eventually get grooves and don't seal right. this is for ALL MY00s and all MY01s.

you need the updated strikers; they look the same but are a harder alloy.

Quick Reply: convertible top latch adjustment