S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Convertible top abrasion

Old 10-16-2002, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine hasn't started to split yet but it definitely rubs and creases badly when folded, leaving these ugly shiny areas

Pete
Old 10-16-2002, 07:24 AM

Have you guys with the hole problem had the top stored folded for a long period of time? (i.e. do you have hardtops on in the winter? ) Or do you put the top up and down very, frequently? Do you live in very sunny regions?

We're trying to see who it might affect over here in the UK
Old 10-16-2002, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PWE 896
Have you guys with the hole problem had the top stored folded for a long period of time? (i.e. do you have hardtops on in the winter? ) Or do you put the top up and down very, frequently? Do you live in very sunny regions?

Mine is a daily driver. I put my top up and down frequently. The only time it is left down is for something like running into a store.

I live in a very wet region of the country. Probably a lot like the UK.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by PWE 896

I have the rubbing top. No hard-top, no extended time with the top down. My top looks like yours. I can even see the crease in your top in the first picture you posted. The wear is from the inside of the car. I'll bet that you will see the wear if you look at the top from inside the car with a flashlight behind the side window.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:43 AM

Hi all,

I would like to get a very close look at this problem. If someone is in Southern California 'd like to meet somewhere to look and get photos.

Please PM me.

Woodwork
Old 10-17-2002, 11:19 AM

Well this is depressing.
I don't have this problem on MY01 but my car is parked outdoors and the top is in motion constantly.
Someone in Socal please meet up with Woodwork. He maybe able to help you and the rest of the s2ki community notify HMA.
Hopefully. (fingers crossed)
Old 10-17-2002, 12:08 PM

I just got a call from the service manager at my local dealership. They are worried that the cars purchase date may put me out of warranty.

If I am out of warranty, I will be pleading up the management chain at HMA. I really don't think a top should wear out in 30K miles. I would bet other covertible car manufacturers don't have the same issue with their tops.

The good new is that they will do the retro-fit for me as soon as they can track down 2 connectors for the defroster stuff. I'll post as I learn more.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:56 PM

Old 10-17-2002, 01:07 PM

I have checked, and my top is quite immaculate at the 7 month of ownership point. A few very important factors: I have a garage, and during a period of nice weather, the car may go several days with the top in the 'down' position; I live in South Carolina, so there is lots of nice weather; a lot of my outings do not put the car in locations where the top must be raised to protect against vandalism. The next result is that I am able to minimize the number of raisings and lowerings. Some members have observed that the top regularly goes up and down nearly every day - such as when leaving the car parked out of doors at work.
Anyway, with a very minimal number of ups and downs, the soft top probably experiences a whole lot less wear than one which raises and lowers a lot. I've probably taken far too many words to make a rather obvious statement as to why some S2000 tops wear out much quicker than others.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:21 PM
STL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodwork
[B]Hi all,

I would like to get a very close look at this problem.

Quick Reply: Convertible top abrasion