S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering S2k Trade for Element

Old 03-31-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gotta do what you gotta do. Maybe another vehicle will keep you a little happier than the Element would though. While it's really neat, I still would dread owning one. I just personally hate how it looks. I would also choose a Scion before an Element. But that's just me Goodluck
Old 03-31-2004, 11:15 AM

Sounds like you need a 2nd/beater car. Keep your S and get a used Accord or Subaru wagon. They can be had for about the same amount as the money you'd lose by trading your relatively new S in on a new car.

-Nick
Old 03-31-2004, 01:23 PM

Getting married doesn't mean that you need a bigger car. It just means that your wife's car will be your beater/ hauler.

I hope that you aren't the type to get an Excursion just becasue you have 1 kid.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nastinupe1
Getting married doesn't mean that you need a bigger car.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:51 PM

why dont you get a beater? if not, why dont you ask her to get a bigger car?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:57 PM

Thank you for your responses. First of all I am currently working in Florida and I am expecting to get a job with a regional airline soon. That could put me anywhere in the US. I would not say that the S is a great fit for all locations. In addition, before I was able to move most of my items in flight and then went back to get my car. Not looking forward to that expense again. As far as having a family, I don't have one yet and my engagement will be at least for a year.

In conclusion, the element gives me more space for moving, it gives me more space for future family, and it gives me the option of AWD for any part of the country I may have to move to. I had money prior to avaition but NONE now so getting another car is out of the question. I would be able to trade the S for the element and cash out the difference owed. My fiance is in California so her getting a bigger car doesn't help me. Thanks again all and I look forward to more responses.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:10 PM

The Element seems like a pretty good thing if it fits your lifestyle. It will haul a good amount of stuff, however it's no moving van. You couldn't have much stuff and expect to get it all in there. It's got a lightweight tow rating too so you couldn't hitch a big trailer to it either.

I don't mind the looks. I've had a couple people threaten to never ride with me if I got one though.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:32 PM

You do what you have to do, but the Element will not disappoint. A year ago I traded the '71 Bronco I said I would never sell for an Element. I was surprised how well it handled for a box and loved the spacious interior and large knobs/controls. I Immediately pulled the rear seats to give hauling room. Just yesterday I carried home from Home Depot a 72" boxed cabinet-- just slide it up between the front seats like I used to do in the Bronco and closed the rear hatch. Form follows Function. Copy paper doesn't come in a sleek box.
I also have an 04 Rio S2K. The Element is for general purpose; the 04 is for serious driving. Each vehicle excels at its designed purpose.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:51 PM
dut

- my brother got an element and I was laughing when he brought it home... but I will admit its a nice vehicle... I think its a much better choice than a 108hp scion.. LOL
Old 03-31-2004, 04:58 PM

I've had an Element as a loaner a few times over the last year. It's nice. I'm klutzy and it's the only car that I can get into from the driver's front door, then walk all the way down and out the back, without tripping on anything. I'd love to have one as an extra car. It's also a bargain for AWD at its price point.

Only problems were: it's tall and you definitely feel it. Moreover, you can get a very nice Accord for the same price. The car doesn't make sense unless you really need that space.

Quick Reply: Considering S2k Trade for Element