S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering S2000...

Old 07-22-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawker, I hate to bring up the semi-obvious here, but have you considered what you wear might influence a dealer's decision as to whether or not they would allow you to take a test drive? Personally, I'd hate to think that any dealer would be dumb enough to look at someone and make a judgement as to whether this person has the money to buy the car - but that's just the way the world works sometimes. I'm young (25) and look even younger. Add to it the fact that I'm a chick, and you get the picture that many times dealers wouldn't take me seriously when I told them I was interested in the S2000. It was their loss though. I agree w/ what someone else said before - the S2000 isn't special enough (or pricey enough) to pull that kind of BS about needing paperwork filled out or a deposit put down before taking you out. We're not talking about a Ferrari that costs a few hundred grand.

Being that it's getting near the end of the month, I'd think that places would be more willing to do whatever it takes to make a sale - but who knows?! I'm sure you'll be test driving (and falling in love with) an S2000 in no time!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i'm korean american, and there are tons of korean international students around wash dc. they go to dealers in jeans and tshirts and buy M3s and TL-S's and etc etc. But since the big recession in korea, things have changed a lot now. but there still are many young asian guys in town (not international students) who buy expensive cars. I have no problems walking into a dealer in jeans and tshirt and test driving M3s or s2ks or other similar cars. I must look very rich !
Old 07-22-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just picked up my new S2000 last night. Berlina Black on Black.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:56 PM

If your credit is good, print a copy of your credit report from one of the credit agency's websites. When they tell you no test drives, show them your FICO score, and ask them if they really want a customer like you walking out the door because they wouldn't offer a test drive. A good FICO score will have them drooling, guaranteed.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:09 PM

I went to test drive a used Z06 yesterday. Those guys were DICKS! Stupid F'ing pos truck motor pushrod rattle can relic!!!!!!!

And I have a 745 Fico. Those bitches.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Pakisho
I went to test drive a used Z06 yesterday. Those guys were DICKS! Stupid F'ing pos truck motor pushrod rattle can relic!!!!!!!

And I have a 745 Fico. Those bitches.
First of all you are dumb. With an attitude like that no wonder they didn't want you driving their cars. If one dealer says no..another will say yes. truck motor...hmm..i didn't know lotus made trucks...

back on topic:
I was 23 when i got mine dressed in sweats and had just woken up. Some dealers are cool some aren't. Just look around a bit. I got a test drive, my car for msrp, no questions asked back when S2000 were selling for 10k over.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:58 PM

Errrrrr...........would you like to suck it?

Dimwit, I gave them no attitude, what you see in the post above is simply my professional opinion regarding the car and dealership.

Don't bother replying, Im really not interested in what you have to say about attitudes, dealers and Lotus...es?

lol.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:31 PM

hawker187, I think that it should be fairly easy to get a test drive, unless Texas is that much different than California.

I went to a dealership a few months ago to test drive an Insight (since I drive 350 miles each week, was looking to somehow reduce the cost of gas). While I was at the dealership, they had a white on red S2000 that I was dying to take out. I talked to the guy who was helping me with the Insight and I admitted that, even though the cars were on the opposite ends of the spectrum, I was always secretly wanting one. The guy (about 24 or 25, I think) let me take the car on a test drive with my boyfriend. He didn't even come along! Needless to say, I didn't buy the white one but I ended up buying a brand new Suzuka Blue a few months later (three weeks ago).

The key is just be honest and if they don't let you drive it, then accept it and do what others suggest - call around, tell them you are interested in buying the S2000 but don't want to buy it without doing a test drive first.

If you still get the "You need to fill paperwork out first" response, just be straightforward and ask them what they would do if they were in your shoes. You're thinking about dropping $30k+ on a car that you haven't even driven yet. How logical is that? It's like getting married to a girl you've never gone out on a date with.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pakisho
[B]Errrrrr...........would you like to suck it?
Old 07-22-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Just remember, guys, that dealers get a limited number of these cars each year. Some more than others, but the bottom line is that they usually don't have many in stock, and I've never actually heard of a dealer having a "test driver" in stock. They get them to sell them -- new.

That said, I too am surprised to hear that it's tough to get a drive.

Yes, make a few calls. I think that alone shows you're serious.

Quick Reply: Considering S2000...