S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Considering S2000...

Old 07-22-2003, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering S2000...

So I begin my posting career at s2ki with the token introduction: I've been lurking on this board for quite some time and have come across a lot of excellent information and this is my first post.

Greetings.

I'm considering purchasing a new S2000. I currently have a late model Prelude SH. I am very pleased with this car as a daily driver. However, I have always wanted a RWD roadster and the S2k seems to offer a good blend of reliability and sport.

The problem: Before I commit to anything I would like the opportunity to test-drive one. I'm a successful consultant in my late 20's and appear professional and affluent but it seems that dealers still balk at the idea of me test driving an S2000.

I don't understand it at all. I say to them: "I'm not sure I want this car. I need to drive it before I can tell you if I'm interested or not
Old 07-22-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Try finding a used one to test drive. Then you can VTEC without hurting the car.

I am in my late 20's and went into one dealership in jeans and a sweater and they let me drive. I went to the second dealership in jeans and a tee shirt to buy. They would have let me drive it, but I didn't need to at that point.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:11 AM

call ahead. ask to speak with a salesman. if you don't like the one that you speak with, politely end the call and try again. S's aren't special enough to warrant the old "fill out the paper work first" or "put a deposit down" routines. a phone conversation is a five minute investment that will preclude all of the BS that you are encountering.

if you are showing up with another person, then the dealership may have a problem because there's only two seats for the three of you.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:15 AM

I suggest calling and scheduling a test drive. At least it makes you appear to be serious. But no guarantees. I remember calling and scheduling a test drive in a MB C-240 and when I get there it took 30 mins. before someone would even acknowledge me and another 10 mins to tell me they didn't have any 6-speed available for a test drive.

Not all dealers are alike so call around and find one that is willing to help. It's their loss if they don't.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:15 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm kind of considering one myself.I went to my local dealer to look at them. I had a pretty young salesman probably more my age 24. We were going to take out a new one but they had a used one so we took that one out. Although I new right away they didn't want us to take the new one out it didn't really bother me as I had no intentions of buying a white one anyway. I've never owned a honda before but the dealers I've been to so far are enough not to want to own one. The won't come down a penny around here. I may end up going the used route. My advice is find a used one to test drive. Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:25 AM

I'm surprised they aren't willing to negotiate with the price. With all the other car options out there Honda has to know their number is up. But then again, the summer is here. Hey if you can wait, buy one in October. They'll be giving them away then.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aawil
[B]I'm in the same boat as you.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:38 AM

I don't have a S, but I do hope to get one soonish.

When I started becoming interested in driving one and after reading about test drive problems on here, I decided to go looking for a used one. I showed up at two different places that had used S's and they would NOT let me drive them without "paperwork". (oh yea, I am 23 - so I look youngish)

Then I went onto honda.com... and requested test drives at three local dealers.... all three emailed me back and wanted to set up a time. I ended up going on the first one, where the salesman was really old. He drove the first mile (to get off a main road) and then let me drive it for a few miles. It wasn't the best test drive, as I never really got to see what it could really do. Then I went on the second test drive at another dealer. The salesman was about 19-20 and was really into racing, etc. He had a chipped a4 he told me about. Anyway, I went on a 45 minute ride where he V-teched it about at least a dozen times... and then had me really get it on as well. I felt really bad for the person who ended up buying this S, but at least I got to experience what it was really about. After this test drive I absolutely fell in love with the car....

so my advice is to go through honda.com

KEVIN
Old 07-22-2003, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the good tips. I will look for a used one to try out as well as going through honda.com. Is this a common problem? Its pretty frustrating.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:43 AM

Buy it definitly if you want 2x as much as your prelude.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:08 AM

I stopped at another dealer nad the guy said "well we'll knock a couple hundred off to make the sale" He also had alot of attitude. The funny thing is there are 3 used yellow s2000's within a mile of each other. But i would prefer the silver/red or red/black. I really want the red interior though. The one I drove was a 01 yellow with 16,xxx mile and they were firm at 25,900. I'll probably wait till winter. Summer is the worst time to buy a sports car and especially a convertable.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jtpassat
[B]I'm surprised they aren't willing to negotiate with the price.

Quick Reply: Considering S2000...