S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Comptech Flywheel = time bomb?

Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are referring to the ring gear being separate, I am pretty sure that is standard on aftermarket flywheels. Correct me if I am wrong please...
Old 06-08-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

moving to S2ktalk.

and yes, it's your typical mechanic BS. tell him to shut up and install it.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM

Ah, I wish I had been thinking quicker. I have a camera with me and it didn't occur to me to take picture of it. It is already installed...too late. Damn my feeble brain.

But yes, it is the ring gear on the outside that he was refering to. And that is exactly why I posted here and why I love you guys so much. I haven't seen the stock one out yet, but am taking all the original parts home so I'll get to look. If every aftermarket flywheel is like this then I suddenly feel much better. Although he did show me a flywheel for a K series that was one solid piece of steel all the way through. And it was super light.

LG
Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah you're in Atlanta, who are you on the s2katlanta forums? I know EXACTLY of the shop (Alan Cox) AND mechanic you're referring to - based on the description you gave. He actually does very good work, but he's VERY opinionated about parts. While I was getting my valves adjusted there last month I was telling him I was getting the J's header and he thought that no header was better than the OEM one. He was very biased about most if not all of the aftermarket parts available, although still a nice guy and knows how to work on the car inside and out.

That reminds me, I need to call them and see if my new tires have arrived yet...

Oh btw, just tell him to install the flywheel
Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 AM

I don't frequent the s2katlanta forums much. Another friend of mine reads it all the time (cbrguy is his handle there I think) and keeps me abreast of anything interesting (good parts for sale).

Your powers of deduction do not fail you.

I'm glad you approve of his abilities if not his opinions on parts. I might have them do my valves as well and don't want him monkeying it up. I assume you are please with how yours turned out.

I'm generally in love with J's parts and can't see how he could vote for the OEM one over theirs. Granted not all headers are worth a damn, but I think it has been proven that the better ones are an improvement. BTW my J's exhaust arrives Tuesday yippee!

So now I'm wondering why the hell I'm still here. He finished putting the tranny back in over an hour ago and no one is touching the car now. Why'd he tell me this would take 4 more hours?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM

Then i better sell mine.......i remember looking at it when i put it in it was so pretttttty.......now its a time bomb uh ohhhhh dont listen to that mumbo jumbo. i have it put it in myself and its been running great since!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Here are some pictures of the Comptech flywheel that has been in my car for a few years.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM

Basically this is heresay unless there are pics. If one did come apart, I am SURE there would have been pics all over s2ki.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Asura,Jun 8 2006, 06:33 PM
Basically this is heresay unless there are pics. If one did come apart, I am SURE there would have been pics all over s2ki.
i agree. A ton of people here have this piece and I know more than a hand full probably beat the every loving hell out of it. If one failed it would be hard to believe we haven't heard about it. The comptech flywheel is a nice unit. Although he was right about one thing, the toda FW is very nice also...
Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the Comptech flywheel just the OEM flywheel with a lot of metal ground out of it?

Quick Reply: Comptech Flywheel = time bomb?