S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Comptech announced they will be closing

Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess no one thinks a third party will purchase Comptech?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by mikey k,Feb 27 2007, 11:29 AM
and there is me with a nice new CTSC and after cooler just arrived in the garage ready for fitting.
Let's hope it goes OK!
Here's me wondering if mine shipped out before or after this whole thing came down. It's either in transit now, or it probably won't get shipped at all. I'm going to call in about an hour to see what the deal is.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are a forum sponsor and either have some Comptech items in stock or are able to sell, please let us know so those that would like something can pick it up before it's too late.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 AM

Definately not a good thing for us CT guys. I'm guessing most of the parts are replaceable or fixable but it's going to take alot more effort if you run into problems.

There must be some external factors or specific reasons for the closure. While we certainly don't have many facts, my perception over the last year or so is that they have had more business than they could handle. The last few GB's generated dozens of S/C sales with several months of delays filling orders. I would have thought that they would have had more trouble in the early years with fewer S's out there and much more R&D spending.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm glad I bought my A Stock air filter when I did, just a couple weeks ago. Real surprising to me that a company that seemed (for the most part) so well regarded, even if on the pricey side, would go under.

Best wishes to the employees.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 AM
vbb

I also got the "official" word today after talking directly with someone from Comptech on the phone. They've been flooded with calls over the past 24 hours or so, and are obviously short staffed right now. To clear up a few questions that I know some people had:

-They will NOT be able to honor any pulley or differential core deposits that people put down. If you bought your item through a vendor or distributor, then maybe you can get the core charge back from them... but if you bought directly from Comptech, or if your vendor is unable to refund you the core deposit, then you're SOL.

-Likewise, the customer service and warranties are pretty much void as well. There's simply nobody to call and nowhere to make your claim.

-They are only selling whatever they have in stock right now. I think everyone pretty much already understood this to be the case, but just to be clear, if they don't have the item, they no longer can get the item. I suppose at some point they'll post a full list of whatever they have in inventory. The vendors are currently making a mad dash to buy up whatever remaining parts that they do have, so you'll probably do best buying from one of them.

-If you placed an order with Comptech and they charged your credit card, then they will be shipping out your item. They don't charge an individual's card for an item they don't have. THIS MAY BE DIFFERENT IF YOU ORDERED THROUGH A VENDOR. Some Vendors were able to place orders for certain things even without Comptech having them in stock. Depending on when the order was placed, your vendor might not be able to get the item that they charged you for. Of course, the vendor has to refund your card in that case. Most vendors have been trouble getting through to Comptech as well... so many of them don't have a status update on your order right now.

That's all I was able to find out. Hope it helps a little bit.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by cpoz,Feb 27 2007, 08:46 AM
I doubt it. they might buy the name and IP, but I bet there won't be a Comptech as we know it.

Maybe "Comptech by Joe's S2k Shack" or similar

... or even maybe "Comptech Performance, by HFP"? (dare to dream!) I've heard that Comptech and Honda got on very well, and some CT parts didn't void Honda warranties when installed by Honda dealers... I'd appreciate (and probably capitalize on) the ability to buy a HFP-SC with a Honda-backed 12/12,000 warranty.

An interesting thought to go by, isn't it?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Comptech had the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with . . .
Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by cpoz,Feb 27 2007, 11:46 AM
Thats what I was thinking. I wouldn't be suprised if another company takes over their designs and what not.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Wow, sad to see them go. Glad I bought what I had to buy when I did

Quick Reply: Comptech announced they will be closing