S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Complete noob looking for some perspective used S2000 Pricing.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete noob looking for some perspective used S2000 Pricing.

So, my idiot brother bought one of these things almost a year ago. I made the mistake of driving it. Shortly thereafter I was hooked (and now find myself needing a new car). The catch is, I can't seem to figure out what's a good price and what's not for a used S2000.

I have about $15k to spend. Would prefer an AP2 (they seem to have fewer issues, according to what I've read on here!) So, what's reasonable mileage-wise for around that price range? (If it matters, I'm in TX, but have the ability to get anywhere to buy one if the price is right)

(Thanks in advance for helping the clueless guy out)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM

For a clean title ap2 at that price, you'll be able to get anything from probably 10k-100k miles.

Depending on the mods the price can vary a lot as well. If you're looking at a modded car, look for something with wider/lighter wheels, wider tires, downforce, or a hard top. Intake/exhaust hp gains are negligible for how much the parts are. Be wary of buying a car without driving it if there is an exhaust, because many have a loud drone at cruising speeds that you'll probably hate after a few weeks.

But for a sub 30k mile, stock ap2 with a clear title, I'd expect to pay 15k. But that's not to say I haven't seen them go for 12-13k on here.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM

Ideally I'd like something bone stock. Most of the stuff I'm coming up with on the internet around here seems more than a little overpriced (according to the threads I read on here before posting)... Examples of what I've seen lately:

High mileage, and expensive

Drove this and liked it, but they weren't flexible at ALL on the price (and it seems way high)

AP1 and still pricey

Ideally I'd like something in the formula red, but I'm flexible on that.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM

hey t-bucket. i'm from texas so hopefully my perspective is more insightful than someone's from across the country where the price can differ drastically.

that red AP2 is SICK looking and comes with the optional front underbody spoiler and 8 disc CD changer. some rich person in frisco (where the car is located) will probably pay that price and that is why they are not coming down on it.

i bought my 2005 with 41K miles on it from a dodge dealership in arlington. (edit: in march of this year) it is in great condition over all and i paid $17,600 for it. when i was haggling with the dealer he was pretty firm on 20K but i found "internet pricing" on a website that linked to their dodge website that listed it at around 17,900. i brought in an edmunds TMV report and got them down a little more. if you have any more questions then holler.

if that red car was not in the frisco/plano area where people don't seem to mind overpaying, i could see it going for around 17.5K.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ConanO'Brien
hey t-bucket. i'm from texas so hopefully my perspective is more insightful than someone's from across the country where the price can differ drastically.

that red AP2 is SICK looking and comes with the optional front underbody spoiler and 8 disc CD changer. some rich person in frisco (where the car is located) will probably pay that price and that is why they are not coming down on it.

i bought my 2005 with 41K miles on it from a dodge dealership in arlington. (edit: in march of this year) it is in great condition over all and i paid $17,600 for it. when i was haggling with the dealer he was pretty firm on 20K but i found "internet pricing" on a website that linked to their dodge website that listed it at around 17,900. i brought in an edmunds TMV report and got them down a little more. if you have any more questions then holler.

if that red car was not in the frisco/plano area where people don't seem to mind overpaying, i could see it going for around 17.5K.

Yeah, I really liked it, it was just outside of what I'm able to pay. That front spoiler is awesome looking. (The CD changer would go immediately though... Who uses those anymore!??!) Damn those people from Frisco.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid 18.5k for my 07 with 31k miles on it last March. Just look everywhere, and keep looking. Autotrader, cars.com, ebay (where I bought mine at), craigslist, local dealers, etc. You will find what you are looking for if you just keep looking.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM

I feel I paid a fair price going by what kelly blue book said this car was worth. I dont regret it one bit! In fact I paid less for my car than what other people were wanting for theirs but still no where as low as what you guys are talking about paying.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Yeah, that lip spoiler costs like $500 from the factory to buy/paint/install. You can get the replicas for around 100 bucks here, and if you wait for a red one, then you're set. The fronts of these cars are magnets for rocks, so having a perfect one isn't really an issue.

But seriously, I'd pay around 14k for the '05 red one. 12k for the '06 black. And 11-12k for the ap1. Lurk around the classifieds here and find something you like. Otherwise wait a few months till winter, and prices will drop again.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM

is just because I live in California? Most AP2s are in the 20-24k range. I found one for 19k but with his current mods I think he wants more. these prices are all over the place.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM

With 15K you can probably get 04-05 model. If you wait till winter you probably can get a 06 with 50k miles or so.

Quick Reply: Complete noob looking for some perspective used S2000 Pricing.