S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Comments on my carbon fiber lip...

Old 12-06-2002, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comments on my carbon fiber lip...

i ordered a carbon fiber lip through evoultion autosports group buy a few weeks ago. i was told that it was gonna take approximately 3-5 business days. it took 8 business days to arrive, im sure however, that some of that can be attributed to the Thanksgiving holiday. anyway, i never considered the wait to be that unreasonable so i didn't bitch.

upon receipt of the product, i immediately noticed that there were no instructions, and no hardware. but believing that this was an oem lip i jus' chunked that observation to mechanical ignorance. after returning from an outing i decided to install the lip. i took out all the bolts at the bottom of the bumper and then proceeded to mount the lip. it simply did not fit. im like shit, i must be doing something wrong so i tried again. it seemed like no matter what i did one side was too short. (embarrassed)i asked a female friend of mine to hold it up why i try again. same thing, nada. by now im kinda frustrated, but i refused to give up. i mean it's oem style right? so i try again, this time i was able to line up one of the mounting brackets, and screw in a bolt. the other side was still too short(approximately 1/8 to 1/4 of an in.), so naively i forced it to slide up the bumper. SSCRAATCH!! CRAAACK!!

i scratched the bumper, and some of the enamel? on the cf lip chipped. the part that chipped is in the inside of the fender so you really don't notice it unless you scrutinze the lip while on the side of the car. the scratch is hidden by the lip so as long as it's mounted you don't see it.

as far as the mounting of the lip, only the two front mounting brackets have bolts attached to bumper, the rest of the lip is just 'on' the bumper. there were four brackets in all, but the two on the ends don't align up to any holes. now i called evolution to see if i did anything wrong. Jeff seemed quite indifferent, and told me to call back in a hour when his tech guy got back. i called back the next day. the tech guy(didn't get his name)he told me that they hadn't heard of any problems, but they did have to file theirs down a bit in order for it to fit. wtf? i would've appreciated that information. it may have even affected my decision whether or not to purchase. i was also told to drill holes into the side of the bumper where the lip wraps around to get a more secure fit. my thoughts, i shouldn't have to.

in conclusion, i never anticipated the installation of an oem style front lip to be so complicated. when i received it i also noticed a white residue along the seams at the top of the lip. with some hard work and a toothbrush i managed to get about 65% of it off. there was also like two pieces of what looked like minute cardboad paper strings underneath the enamel? nothing i could do about that. from a distance i'd say the lip looks good, but upon further inspection i don't care for it at all. im basically just putting this out here to vent, and to disclose my happenings with evolution autosports.
because of the scratch the lip will stay on the car until it falls off, or i purchase another bumper. speaking of which, i can't believe i even tried to take the bumper off to put this lip on!! needless to say i've charged the purchase to the game, for i should never have to ask for good customer service.

one last thing, against better judgement i did lie to someone i don't remember if it was them or andyp by telling them that the enamel on the lip was chipped during shipment. i know that was wrong, although i feel that they are responsible for the chip and the scratch; i never should've lied about it. sorry.
Old 12-06-2002, 06:09 PM

Hmmm, I knew those prices were too good to be true. Sorry you had to be the guniea pig to find out. Hope it all works out.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corey, do you have any pix you would like to share. Because since a complain is made against me and the products I sell. I would love to see some pix. So maybe I can show my company who make these products.
On your reply you said when you called me. I seemed different. It you felt that way, I apologize, we deal with so many things a day and our mood changes thru a whole day of customer service work. I always try to have the best customer service. Even or not if the customer is a buying customer or have been a buying customer. I am not mad at all regarding your complain. I just wish that you could have consulted us before you made your scratch on your bumper. Usually we expect people with a lot of mechanic experience to be working on it. Or a appropriate body shop. Because the CF products are consider the same thing as an aftermarket body kit. They don't come with instructions or bolts. Maybe we can change that in the future. But these are the first shipment and we did try to offer these products are the best price. Thru out our first shipment, we have had some great compliments regarding these products and some complains. But most of them have called me and I have arranged proper solution to them as the customer and I seem fitted. I always stand behind my customer service and my products. So if there are anything that you think we could do to make you feel a little bit better regarding your purchase or your dealing with my store. Please let me know. I'm at the shop from Mon-Fri.

Thank you

Jeff - Evolution
Old 12-07-2002, 11:30 AM

soul_fly: I have been a customer at Evolution for a long time and my S is tunned by them and only by them. I have no complaints about them, and I find this complaint that you have started a little over dramatic. Im not here to start any more complications but only to give my opinion just because I installed my own frontlip spoiler and ended up doin the same thing you did only with the OEM from Honda. When I installed my lip I scatched that shit all to hell on the actual bumper itself. Yeah I dont have that any more but when I took it off I did notice the scratches. But did I call Honda and complain for my neglagence...no. This sounds more like an install error on your part.

Oh yeah on the whole no instruction issue....I have bought body parts and I have never recieved any instructions....thats why we the consumer pay the body shop to do the work. They know more than us!

This whole issue sounds like you are venting out towards your own mistakes.

This is my 2c!!
Old 12-07-2002, 01:58 PM

Indeed, the lip wasn't just simply put on then bolt on. My friend and I had to do some experimenting, but eventually figured out that it does fit on, rather tightly. Upon inspecting the brackets, you can see that there are points to drill at. It took about an hour; it wasn't too easy, but patience is a virtue. I am quite happy with the lip. The integrity of the lip is much better than fiberglass. I hit the curb while parking one time, pretty damn hard too. That impact would have shattered fiberglass, but the cf lip held through with only a stratch underneath.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ninedeep
[B]soul_fly: I have been a customer at Evolution for a long time and my S is tunned by them and only by them. I have no complaints about them, and I find this complaint that you have started a little over dramatic. Im not here to start any more complications but only to give my opinion just because I installed my own frontlip spoiler and ended up doin the same thing you did only with the OEM from Honda. When I installed my lip I scatched that shit all to hell on the actual bumper itself. Yeah I dont have that any more but when I took it off I did notice the scratches. But did I call Honda and complain for my neglagence...no. This sounds more like an install error on your part.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by evo s2000
[B]Corey, do you have any pix you would like to share. Because since a complain is made against me and the products I sell. I would love to see some pix. So maybe I can show my company who make these products.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:29 PM

o.k. i have somewhat of a retraction to make. when i decided to take pictures of the lip a friend of mine pointed out that if i put some clips on lip i could then align the holes to the holes in the chasis and get the lip to fit more securely. it worked. i am more confident now with the integrity of the lip on the bumper; it doesn't seem like it's just hanging on there. so, aside from the residue that i was unable to get off the lip, and it's extremely tight fit, all else is cool.

i think maybe fitment needs to be addressed -- filing it down will facilitate installation tremendously. just wish i could've received this info before i scratched my bumper. oh well... quality of my lip 8.5, customer service 5. no hard feelings, next time i won't be so eager to install something without proper directions.

bzzz-- bzzz,
soul_fly
Old 12-08-2002, 05:47 PM

i have been doing business with evolution for a while now, and i got to say that they have one of the best customer service that i know...
when one of my TEIN coilover was leaking oil, all i did was called jeff and told him the problem and i took the car over the next day. they looked at the coilover and said they will send it back to TEIN for a replacement. they had to take off the TEIN and put back the stock, after the TEIN got back the did the same thing again... i mean i know places that will charge you labers doing that, but evolution didnt. Jeff kept me updated on the status of the TEIN almost everyday, i mean i didnt have to call him everyday to ask "where is my TEIN? when can i get it?" he would call me and tell me himself... now if that is not great customer service i dont know what is...
all i want to say is that evoultion is the only place i would take my car to even thou i have to drive 40 mins to get there...

JFY
Old 12-08-2002, 07:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jfys2k
[B]i have been doing business with evolution for a while now, and i got to say that they have one of the best customer service that i know...

Quick Reply: Comments on my carbon fiber lip...