S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Which Colors are the Rarest? Most Common?

Old 01-03-2006 | 07:22 PM

Thumbs up Which Colors are the Rarest? Most Common?

Which exterior colors are the rarest, and which are the most common? Are the actual production numbers available anywhere online?

My impression - which isn't based on any numerical data - is that the distribution of colors is something like this: (most common to rarest)

Most Common:
Silver
White
Black
Suzuka Blue
Laguna Blue
Red
Yellow

Do any colors fetch a premium price? Do any colors actual hurt resale value somewhat?

What do you guys think? Anyone have a link to the actual production numbers?
Old 01-03-2006 | 07:58 PM

i barely see any white s2000's in my area... at least non for sale
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:01 PM
Banned

I would have to say silverstone is extremely rare. Never seen one in real life. There are rumors floating around the car community of one out in the desert of new mexico, but no one knows for sure.
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:01 PM
20 Year Member

You can get the actual production numbers from either Honda's site or a search on these forums. There is no data that shows a breakdown by color, and all colors fetch a premium new because there are relatively few S2000's made. Used, its much easier to find just about every color except Grand Prix white and Suzuka blue in my experience.

From what I've seen, the most common are the two silvers, with about 24% each, then BB, NFR, GPW, Suzuka, and the two yellows each with around 10%. Laguna Blue is obviously the rarest since it just debuted (1%). I don't think color hurts resale value on the S currently, but down the road, it might, since some colors had limited interior colors in different years, so they may be more sought after.

Overall, I'd say of the established colors, white is the rarest if for no other reason than that it has the most interior changes over the years.

GPW/red was only offered one year, GPW/blue is only avail from Canada, GPW/red+black was only around for two years, GPW/tan+black for three, but one on the ap1 and only two on the ap2, and now GPW/black for 06. GPW is also not available in any country except USA and Canada - not even Japan.

At about 700 GPW S2000s a year (10% of ~7,000 sent to NA yearly), with all the interior differences, I'd say there are fewer identical GPWs on the road than any other color S. If only 7% of S's are GPW, thats only 490 a year...

Plus, GPW is the fastest and best color.
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:08 PM

someone with the time will find the production numbers. there was already a thread on this.
silverstone was the highest number produced. with suzuka and white being way low on the list. yellow there is a ton of. and the black and red a ton of. sebring is a rare one too.
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:10 PM

white is the rarest from my experience at various meets. As far as color affecting price, blue and yellow might be difficult to sell just due to it being a love it or hate it color. I'm sure you could get the same amount, just depends on finding that right buyer
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:12 PM

Silverstone has got to be the highest. Every other S2K I see is a Silverstone round here. White is the only color I've never run into.
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:51 PM

2002 GPW/all red
Old 01-03-2006 | 09:45 PM

GPW red/black....i hardly see any other GPW's in my area...
Old 01-03-2006 | 09:50 PM

most of the ones i see are silverstone or sebring

Quick Reply: Which Colors are the Rarest? Most Common?