S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Color matching on replacement bumper.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color matching on replacement bumper.

I have a MY02 New Formula Red S2k and I was rear ended at about 5mph the other day.

The damage is hardly visisible but there none the less still there. I went and got 2 estimates 1 from a Honda body shop and one from and independent.

Honda says: $1300 to replace the rear bumper cover and repaint/blend the trunk, rear quarter panels, and bumper to ensure color match is perfect. Basically repaint 1/3 of the car.

Independent says: $730 to replace and paint bumper cover, and said nothing about blending or repainting other parts.

The party at fault's insurance is writing me a check for $1300.

My question is if I just get the rear bumper replaced, will there really be a big difference in color match? Has any one had a problem with this especially with a Red S2k. i would hate to destroy the factory paint job if it isn't necessary.

The only damage is a small crease in the wall, that indents in the bumper, where the License plate goes. I am talking about the wall that runs inwards and is about 1.5 inches wide

I am pretty anal about my car, but the damage is barley visible (if at all, unless I point it out), I can live with the damage (I think) for $1300.

What would you do in my situation?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:36 PM

Received 320 Likes on 170 Posts

basically ally uo bumpers are painted seperatley anyway. Take it to a good body shop they can usualld do a good matching job without blending.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:38 PM

thats a tough call. Red is a very easy color to notice color mismatch, so if you can live with the damage, and dont want to ruin the factory paint, i would say take the check, and spend it on some mods.

I really can say which would be best, so thats your call!

Let us know what the turnout is, and good luck!
John
Old 09-12-2003, 04:46 PM

I'm pretty anal about dings and scratches myself but I'm even more anal about messing with factory paint. If it were me and the damage is as small as you say, I'd try to live with it and spend the money on something else.

However, it's your car - if you don't repair it, are you going to fixate on the spot everytime you approach the car? If you repair it, are you going to be looking at the paint to see if it matches?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:59 PM

Consider that both shops might be wanting to replace the bumper cover because it is an expensive part. It is therefore very easy to make money on the markup. I would suggest having the bumper repaired if possible. Then they can repaint and blend only the effected area on the bumper. They will have to reclearcoat the entire bumper. If you can go this route, you will have blended paint which should be less noticeable, the repair should be less than the cost of a replacement bumper, and you will not have to mess with any of the other panels. Also, whatever you do, make sure that they use a high quality clear coat. Cheap clear coats disappear in a few short years leaving the repaired panel dull.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:07 PM
mas

stlvtec: I am learning from first hand experience (after an accident) that matching the bumper without blending is impossible with metalic paints. I'm not exactly sure about the formula red's composition but unless someone had already done a repaint without blending I'd not belive it.

One more thing, you might notice more damage after a while like cracked paint/etc, that is not visible right away. This happend with my prelude, someone rear ended me and there was just a minor scratch so I didn't make a big deal. Few weeks later the paint on the bumper started to sort of "wrinkle" and crack.

I'd suggest you keep the money and just try some touch up "pen" or paint depending on the damage and wait and see if it gets any worst.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:56 AM

While they are at it, you might as well have them paint the lower valance above exhaust to match. I think it's a must.

When I had my rear bumper painted to have this done, they blended up to about the middle of the rear bumper and it matches perfect.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:40 AM

You can get a perfect color match if you go to the right person. I had to get my front bumper replaced and the guy did an excellent job matching up the Silverstone. He spent over a week doing the job for me so it would be just perfect and only charged 300 for paint and install (I bought the bumper seperately for 300 or so). From what I understand silver is a harder color to match up than red so you can probably get a perfect color match if you go to the right person. Check around and ask to see previous work if possible. On top of everything, be willing to let your car stay at the shop to give them the time they need to do a proper color match (just check your odometer when you go in just to be safe). Goodluck man
Old 09-13-2003, 10:08 AM

Did your match jobs go well with the clearcoat factor? Do they put a clearcoat over the repaint?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MagicDave
[B]Did your match jobs go well with the clearcoat factor?

Quick Reply: Color matching on replacement bumper.