S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cold Air Intake

Old 06-23-2001, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Just installed the Carbon CAI from MG Racing, it fits perfect.

First impressions : different sound, you hear the car suck air, faster accelarations (bud dyno), lighter because you can remove the stock filter and the entire plastic box.

for the pics www.s-tuning.com

Pancho
Old 06-23-2001, 07:11 AM

How about real dyno? Was your intake stock before?

Speaking of MG Racing.. where are the dyno graphs for the exhaust/header?
Old 06-23-2001, 07:15 AM

Before the intake was stock with the JR air-filter, i'm going to dyno the car as soon as the headers are installed. For the seperate dyno's i'm still waiting for the input from Giampiero.

Pancho
Old 06-24-2001, 02:58 AM

For those that couldn't get to the site.
Here is 1 high res pic.

Pancho
Old 06-24-2001, 06:39 AM

Nice clean motor...ein?
Blue rulez

I also was about to buy that intake, but i
Old 06-24-2001, 06:43 AM

I'm a little leery of the intake under the car.
Old 06-24-2001, 07:33 AM

BlueS2000,

As soon as vlopes has his Spoon CAI, we are going to dyno them both.

Lawdog,

Sorry, but what do you mean with leery?

Pancho
Old 06-24-2001, 01:22 PM

Pancho it looks good, but does it still use a filter?
I gues Lawdog is afraid of getting water in the intake, which is also my scare about this setup. That would be a serious problem!
Old 06-25-2001, 05:09 AM

Pancho- Ronald hit the nail on the head. In my neck of the woods serious rain is a frequent occurrence and I don't like the set up for fear of sucking up some water.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lawdog, I have this intake and while I only drive in the rain by accident, I have absolutely NO fear of this for the following reasons:

The point of intake under the car is more narrow/closed than it is as you move up to the filter element. There would have to be a ton of vacuum to be able to pull water through the geometry of the intake tube. Were the intake wider at the bottom and more narrow at the top, that might be more of a concern. The widest point of the intake is probably 10-12 inches wide and 6-8 inches deep...

The point of intake is essentially at the point that the Spoon x-brace is, it may extend a couple of centimeters below the brace, but it's not as low as you may think it is.

Additionally, if you actually DID drive through water deep enough to get sucked past the filter, into the intake tube and then the throttle body, I can't imagine that the motor would be running long enough to allow that to happen. The intake is the source of air for the motor and cutting that off will, in all likelihood, cut the motor off almost immediately, thereby preventing vacuum from sucking water all the way into where it could cause damage.

In addition to all the things that I just laid out, you would really have to drive through some deep water, like 10+ inches for the rest of these things to take place. Personally, my S2000 doesn't see rain and I can't imagine EVER driving in a place where that much standing water might be present.

But all that aside, I love that intake. As I have said before, it's particularly effective at speed and when I installed it, I felt it. I only wish there was an effective way to prove these changes on a dyno. I did run with Keith, who has the HKS exhaust as well, I was pulling him hard in third. Of course, I have a couple more things that change performance, but the Mugen ECU is more effective down low, whereas that MG CAI is more effective at speed.

Take it for what it's worth. I think it's an excellent piece...and the sound is pure evil. Makes me do this ---->

Moreover, the filter is cleaned by compressed air and requires no oiling...ever. The filter will last forever...

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake