S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Which coilover should I get?!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Which coilover should I get?!

Thanks all for dropping by and spending the time to respond. I am looking for a good coilover set and as long as the price doesn't go awol ie over 2500 I think I'm good. However, I get so many mixed opinions when I talk to friends, so I thought I might have fellow s2k owners have a crack at it.

The options I am looking at are bilstein pss9's, tein ra, and the new zeal function xs. There are a couple things I am considering when buying the coilovers. First, I hear there is almost always a squeak noise when driving with coilovers. Does anyone the degree of each and how annoying or how bearable it is. Any feedback or if anyone already has them, I'd love to hear your impressions on them.

I probably won't be tracking my car much, the occassional autox, but for the most part, spirited driving through canyons are my game. I am also wondering if anyone knows the comfort or drivability of each coilover. I like it stiff but not to the point where my head is nodding uncontrollably. At the same time I might not take hard corners, but I like knowing the fact that I can when I want to. So basically a stiff ride, but bearable on the road. I live in LA and the roads are made of rubble, freeway or not. I haven't had much experience with coilovers, so if there are any tips or things to look out for, I'd greatly appreciate it as well.

Thanks again
Old 08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, the things to look for in a coilover are Damping range, travel, and how much spring the shocks can support. Maybe support too in case you need to have them rebuilt. You get coilovers so, you can change suspension height, tune the spring rates to your liking and adjust the damping to match your driving.

I've looked at the PSS9, the spring rates are low (for my usage) the information availiable on what springs it'll support are non-existent.

I'd have a look at a Ground Control setup. $150 each for the shocks, $399 for the coilovers. If you blow a shock you always replace that one. You can tune the spring rates to anything you want up to about 550 lbs/in. You can get the shocks revalved if you want higher spring rates. They should do everything you want for a relatively cheap price.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Many of the track guys feel that the KW's are the best for the money (you can search the Racing and Competition forum), and are track proven, so should be more than adequate for your needs and within your budget:
http://www.gofastlab.com/s2ki/home.php?cat=12
Old 08-11-2006, 01:21 AM

thanks all for the comments. I will definitely look more into what you both said. I have always known bilstein to be a good brand, but if what you say is true then I may want to reconsider. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 AM

for 2500 you can get zeal functions
Old 08-11-2006, 07:08 AM

I'll second the KW's. I just got them about 4 weeks ago. Install went very well, initially I set them at suggested settings and the ride quality was very good on the test drive. I had one track weekend and was very impressed by their performance and adjustability.

Great quality (so far) and price.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 AM

i have the pss9s and i love them
Old 08-11-2006, 10:44 AM

djpeak10 what spring rate are you running?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should get the ones discussed in this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=247214

Old 08-11-2006, 03:03 PM

Is this not the s2000 talk forum?

Quick Reply: Which coilover should I get?!