S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Coilover help PLEASE!

Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover help PLEASE!

I have used the search and gone through endless threads: i'm really interested in the Tein Flex group buy w/ the edfc however I have heard that the build quality of the tein flex (or all tein's for that matter) is rather cheap and that problems arise within a year of use. I don't track my car, but i will autocross and drive on the street daily. I need a coilover that is as stiff or stiffer than stock, which allows me to not have to worry about problems. I want to be able to drive daily and not have coilover problems (squeaking, re-sealing, etc...) is the tein flex for me?

I have also consiered the Bilstein PSS9 but i think that the spring rates are too soft. I'm looking to spend under $1700. Please help.

thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 12:00 PM

I have the Billstine PSS1's and love them. They were on a friend of mine's car for almost a year and on my car for a year. I have not had 1 (Knock on wood) squeek, rattle or problem with them. The ride is great even with the 19's. Hope this helps.. ...
Kenny
Old 08-01-2004, 12:04 PM

My friend has Tein flex on his WRX, and they sqeak and do all kind of noises. I had a 91 mr2 turbo before my s2k and had JIC FLT-A2 coilovers, and not one noise and have had them over a year....Much stiffer than stock, but still streetable.
Hope this helps
Old 08-01-2004, 12:13 PM
KLN

I have owned two sets of Tein coilovers, CS and RA. I had the CS on my car for over a year without one problem. They were very quiet and never squeaked because they had a rubber trim on the pillow-ball mounts.

Now, I am using the Tein RA's and they are a lot stiffer than the CS and are better for track and autocross. The only time i hear them make any noise is when i am reversing my car out of the garage in the morning when they are cold and compressing the for the first time. After i drive off and they've warmed up I don't hear much.

I have no experience with the Tein Flex but i think they are steel with a teflon coating to help prevent rust, as most of the other tein models are aluminum and don't rust. When i e-mailed Tein about their Flex version they said that it was mainly for daily driving but would be suitable for occasional autocross and track, but they prefer the RA and RS versions for that. Two things i like about the flex is that it has the bottom height adjustability without affecting spring travel and the EDFC.

Another coilover you might want to check out is Buddy Clubs Racing Specs. A lot of members are using those and seem to be happy with them.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:17 PM

anyone else have any experience with tein, buddy club, bilstein, or jic coilovers?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:07 PM

the jic FLA2 are amazing for the track, but may be too stiff for street, the fla1 may be the way to go for you, the quality is better than tein with less spring sag/wear over time(according to Eibach tests done by vtecvoodo). I have had the tein rS also, they were nice and I had no issues in the 6 months that I ran them. The flex setup sounds like it would suit your needs fine, or the jic fla1. 80% comfort with the rest being suitable for auto x. Stock is actually the best for auto x, it does not look as good, but you stay in a lower class.
MAtt
Old 08-01-2004, 07:26 PM

thanks guys...i prefer a stiff ride so i have also thought of the tein ra's but i'm have to make the decision by the latter half of the week so keep the respones coming!...

-ryan
Old 08-02-2004, 01:47 AM

Anyone use or have Zeal or gp sport? How are they street wise and price range? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:26 AM

You can get koni yellows and ground control adjustable springs in whatever spring rates you want for about a grand. Less bling than the jdm coilovers but probably a better set up if you want to stay under $2k
Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 AM

keep em' coming...

Quick Reply: Coilover help PLEASE!