S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch + tailgater + panic = smoking clutch

Old 12-04-2003, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch + tailgater + panic = smoking clutch

Well, yesterday after school I was heading up a hill to turn onto a road. As I was on the hill a guy in his civic decides to get right up on my butt (probably 1 inch distance from my rear bumper to his front bumper). So the light turns green and I shifted into 1st and tried to get up the hill without rolling back and hitting him. I gave my car to much gas and the clutch wasn't far enough out. So my rpms was at 7grand and my clutch started to smoke. I let go of the clutch fully and it started to go up a little bit at a time. After like 5 seconds later I finally got up the hill, shifted into 2nd and made my turn.

I drove the car around to make sure it is ok and everything was fine and running great. I just think the reason why the clutch didn't grab when I fully let it go at 7g rpm was because I burnt/smoked the clutch to a point where it was so hot that it wouldn't grab. Unless it is some other reasons. So if someone can tell me is my car ok then I will greatly appreciated.

My question is did I hurt the tranny in anyway or the motor itself? I was at 3 bar on the temperature gauge.

-Alan
Old 12-04-2003, 08:46 AM

you're fine - you just took some life off the clutch. Don't worry about it
Old 12-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torched the clutch a little bit, that's all. Don't sweat it too much. For future reference, a handy technique to avoid the problem is to set the parking brake. When you're ready to go, feather the clutch as you normally would...when it starts to grab, release the parking brake, and away you go. It sounds like the timing is tricky, but it really isn't.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:25 AM

not a hard tecnique to master and works great.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Take some time and go practice what these guys have just posted. You'll be an expert "hill starter" in no time.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:31 AM

Another trick when someone is coming up behind you is to roll at little down the hill and release the clutch and go back up. You have at least signaled to the other drive that you have a MT. Most states have a minimum distance requirement when you stop. If the car behind you gets to close and you back in to them, they are considered at fault for any damage that occurs.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 AM

Yup, just set the hand break a little bit and you can just apply the gas/clutch and when you feel it pulling forward, release the break.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:34 AM

Yeah master the Hill u will be fine and also do the slight roll back technique so the car knows u have a manual tranny works wonders haha
Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the only thing the E-brake was for is to pull a "Rockford", and sliding into parking stalls.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you have now received good advice...here's a "different sort of" suggestion: Slip the tranny into reverse and slam into the tailgater's front bumper (preferably with enough force to blow the feller's airbag ). Then use his car as a your launching pad out of 1st gear. Pretty sure he won't tailgrab on a hill after that.

NOTE: This is best done using a Hummer or some other vehicle that can afford to be smashed into the nose-end of an asshole...don't try this with your S2000

Quick Reply: Clutch + tailgater + panic = smoking clutch