S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch slipping from high RPM's in 1st into 2nd...

Old 03-17-2002, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slipping from high RPM's in 1st into 2nd...

I have take my MY 2001 into the dealership once to have the oil changed and the clutch checked out. They actually told me they had never heard of an S2000 clutch slipping and that when they drove it, the clutch was just fine. I disagree, when merging into traffic ( already moving) and going till just about redline in 1st approx 8500 rpm's and quickly shifting into second and holding the pedal down there is a noticable slipping of the clutch ( almost feels like the rear tires are spinning, but zero perceivable sound from the tires chirping or spinning) My question is am I describing this correctly as a slipping clutch and at 10,000 miles (7000 when first had them look at it) is this something that sould be corrected by Honda?

In trying to describe how I drive the car, normal is more accelerated than what would be normal in an Accord. This is a sports car and should be able to be driven aggresively. That being said, I have never dropped the clutch over 3K and only once did I drop the clutch on takeoff ( around 2500- 3000 rpm's) as I had a few drinks and was getting the hole shot against my neighbor and his 300 ZX TT.

Comments please???
Old 03-17-2002, 10:58 AM

A slipping clutch would be one that holds at part throttle, but slips at full power. You are describing a weak clutch that won't hook-up when power-shifted. Try to be faster with the left foot because a quarter second of slipping at 8500rpm can glaze the clutch, causing the symptoms you are experiencing.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:10 AM

At what temp. are you trying this type of shift? Even if the engine is warmed up (3 bars) the transmission is not at full opertating temp. The clutch is not at optimum temp. yet. I have had this problem. Even though the engine is ready, when I shift at redline in first there will be a slight slip when I hit second. This only happens within the first 20 minutes of driving.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:19 PM

the temp does not affect the symptom I have described, it acts this way cold or hot.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:07 AM

I noticed this too when I had around 10k miles. I took it immediately into honda and the guy said its the clutch master cylinder that failed, causing everything else to mess it (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate) I had everything replaced under warranty
Old 03-19-2002, 07:13 AM

What other if any problems or symptoms did you notice when the clutch master cylinder was going bad?

A slipping clutch would be one that holds at part throttle, but slips at full power. You are describing a weak clutch that won't hook-up when power-shifted.
Is this someting that should be corrected, the weak clutch, or is it just going to be a product of changing the way I shift and work the clutch at high RPM's

Thanks
Old 03-19-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by nine grand
Even if the engine is warmed up (3 bars) the transmission is not at full opertating temp. The clutch is not at optimum temp. yet. I have had this problem. Even though the engine is ready, when I shift at redline in first there will be a slight slip when I hit second. This only happens within the first 20 minutes of driving.
That makes me feel a little better. The exact same thing happened to me last Friday. It was the first time that I had driven the car since November, and I guess that I got a little excited.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:13 PM

I experienced a clutch slip under different conditions. Trying to go quick off the line to merge into traffic, I revved to about 4-5K and slipped the clutch a bit. I had the gas floored and was barely moving. It did this all through first and into second. The clutch has not acted up since, but now that 9kRPMF20C posted about his clutch master cylinder that failed, I'm wondering if I should have it checked out.

Anyone else experience something similar trying to slip the clutch off the line?!

Jimbo
Old 03-21-2002, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimbo
[B]I experienced a clutch slip under different conditions.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can be spinning the tires even though you don't hear it. The S02's are a whole bunch quieter when slipping than typical passenger tires.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping from high RPM's in 1st into 2nd...