S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch question, is this normal?

Old 07-08-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch question, is this normal?

I just picked up an 05 s2k about a week ago and i didn't really think much of it until today (the funky clutch). The point where the clutch catches is a bit on the high side. Also when it catches when i shift and am letting off on the clutch it also clicks (not sure if this makes sense). Or if i were to step on the cluch gently it'll make a click sound (as if the clutch is loose [or at least the pedal of the clutch]). I tried putting the car in first and slowly letting off the clutch without stepping on the gas and it'll be really hard to get the car rolling (this isn't suppose to be on a new clutch?). Could the clutch be installed improperly (or something else). Or is this all normal? It seems as though when the clutch catches and i would put my feet off the clutch it'll make a click sound as if the clutch/pedal is loose.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 PM

I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. My 05 is a few weeks old now and it has not made any clicking sounds with the clutch.
Let us know what they say when you have it checked out ok? I do have to give it gas a bit even if I only want to roll a few inchs.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Green Tea,Jul 8 2005, 11:56 PM
when i shift and am letting off on the clutch it also clicks (not sure if this makes sense). Or if i were to step on the cluch gently it'll make a click sound
The clicking may be your axles and not your clutch. I would venture to say that the click is somewere in the drivetrain from the tranny on back to the rear wheels. Clutches don't normally click that I'm aware of.

(as if the clutch is loose)
It is not likely that your clutch is loose.

I tried putting the car in first and slowly letting off the clutch without stepping on the gas and it'll be really hard to get the car rolling (this isn't suppose to be on a new clutch?).
These cars don't have a whole lot of torque at idle, but run well above 2k rpms.

Could the clutch be installed improperly (or something else).
I doubt that the clutch in your car was installed improperly.

[QUOTE=Green Tea,Jul 8 2005, 11:56 PM]Or is this all normal?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the replies. Another thing, when i tap the clutch (not fully stepping down on it) it would make the clicking noise (what i was getting at). As to why i feel as though its loose. It appears as though the clutch isn't stiff when I would tap on it, compared to the brakes which is rock hard when i tap on it. shouldn't the clutch be rock hard too when i tap on it?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:39 AM

When you press the clutch, are you by chance also hitting the brake? I do this by instinct. My car does the same thing, but when you tap the brakes from a stop or reverse. Guys at dealership told me it was "caliper shift." They replaced the rear calipers, but the problem is still there. I also tightened the rear hub nut to the 220ft/lbs honda suggests, instead of the factory 180.

I am taking it back in on monday.

John
Old 07-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Nope, not stepping on the brakes when i step on the clutch. I could be wrong, but isn't the clutch suppose to feel stiff if you tap it or step on it a bit? Whenever i step or tap on my clutch a bit, it'll make a click noise. Feels kind of like a two leveled clutch where i have to step on it then step on it further to go beyond the click noise (I'm sure you'd have to drive my car to understand what i'm trying to reference).
Old 06-25-2006, 03:16 AM

bump from the dead!

my clutch also have the same "clicking" noise.. it just started and my car just hit 28000 miles. the cluck clicks while pressing down on it. any updates on this?
Old 06-25-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by j03chu,Jun 25 2006, 04:16 AM
the cluck clicks while pressing down on it.
cluck

If the cluck...er, I mean clutch clicks while being dis-engaged, it is not an axle creak. It could be that something is sticking/binding somewhere in the clutch system.

Try performing a thorough clutch flush. After pumping the clutch pedal 30-40 times, if the click is still there, have someone in your local forum take a look (and listen) at it.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 AM

I have a MY04 with 29300 miles... i had the same clicking problem with the clutch.. when i depress the cluth a few inches... i hear a click.. then when i release ( a few inches from releaseing the cluch, i hear the same click.. this happened for half a day and then disappeared.. ... any updates on what it may be?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up

I have a MY 06 with just under 11,000 miles and I am now getting the same sound. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens more often than not. It almost seems like a spring or switch that is going bad or is mis-adjusted.

I read in another thread that a new clutch master cylinder fixed this, but this seems quite excessive!

Any updates on this issue? Some people say it's gone aways as quickly as is appeared.

Thanks,

Stu E.

Quick Reply: Clutch question, is this normal?