S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

clutch question

Old 02-03-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supersweet. You should be set for a little while anyway. 54,000 miles is good wear on your clutch. Maybe this Spring or Summer you could get a new clutch assembly.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RACER
Supersweet.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RACER
Flush and bleed the clutch and call it the day.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:19 AM

The S2K is a high performance automobile. It's hard to say what the cause of the shudder is, it could just be one of those idiosyncrasies.

If you can smoothly engage your clutch from 0 mph, and shift up or down without any problems, then just keep running it.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:00 AM

An easy 30 second cluth test:

1. Firmly engage hand brake
2. Engage one of the higher gears, say 4th, 5th or 6th
3. Rev engine to 4-5k
4. Swiftly release clutch pedal

Engine stalls---Clutch is fine
Engine continues to run--Replace clutch.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by andrewewing
An easy 30 second cluth test:

1. Firmly engage hand brake
2. Engage one of the higher gears, say 4th, 5th or 6th
3. Rev engine to 4-5k
4. Swiftly release clutch pedal

Engine stalls---Clutch is fine
Engine continues to run--Replace clutch.
That is hard on a car to purposely stall it like that. Even if the clutch was slipping, it would still stall if you set the parking brake, put the transmission in 4th, 5th or 6th and let the clutch out.

The way to tell if a clutch is bad is to drive up a steep hill at about 55 mph in 5th gear. If the clutch disk is worn out, the clutch will slip. If the clutch does not slip, then no damage has been done to the car.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I have to replace the clutch in my S honda charges me 1300 to fix with OEM parts but I do drive my S pretty hard yes I do showoff and race I want to get some oppinions on what typ (i.e. brand) I should go with looking to keep it within 1000 to 1500 $$ I do drive it alot almost my daily driver. any suggestions has anyone replaced with aftermarket??? that they would highly recomend. looking for the whole kit disk, pressure plate, flywheel, bearings
thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by louieville
I know I have to replace the clutch in my S honda charges me 1300 to fix with OEM parts but I do drive my S pretty hard yes I do showoff and race I want to get some oppinions on what typ (i.e. brand) I should go with looking to keep it within 1000 to 1500 $$ I do drive it alot almost my daily driver. any suggestions has anyone replaced with aftermarket??? that they would highly recomend. looking for the whole kit disk, pressure plate, flywheel, bearings
thanks
Some questions for you: Do you do wheel burners, donuts? If yes to either or both questions, then don't do it anymore. Do you do 6k rpm clutch drops? (as in 1/4 mile racing) If yes, then don't expect your clutch to last very long. Is your engine stock, do you have forced induction? The reason I ask is because Some members have mentioned that the stock clutch setup is sufficient for a stock engine.

You mention that your S is a daily driver. Unless you are seriously going to compete in 1/4 mile competition, the stock clutch will be fine. If you feel you have the need to abuse the clutch, then there are other alternatives. If you don't find the info in this thread, then try a search in the search function.

I have heard that the Act clutch disk/OEM pressure plate combo works well.

Good luck RACER
Old 02-19-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by louieville
thanks
I recently had my clutch replaced with all OEM parts and it cost me just under $800. Mine is a daily driver and I don't drive it all that hard most of the time, so the stock setup was fine for me.

I've heard from others that the ACT pressure plate with OEM friction disc works well. It supposedly grabs a little more solidly without altering the feel too much. Had I decided to go aftermarket, that would've been my choice.

Another setup that others have recommended is the Mugen pressure plate with OEM friction disc.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:48 AM

I believe the shudder that people are talking about is when the RPM's fall below a certain point when you disengage and the computer brings the RPM's back up after the shudder. At least that is what it does on mine. I have little less than 7k miles. Should I get this checked out?

Quick Reply: clutch question