S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch Life

Old 12-26-2004, 05:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Red One,Dec 25 2004, 06:33 PM
do you double-clutch shifting up as well?

[ ... ]

Any other views on double-clutching when downshifting? some say it takes too much time and isn't necessary, others say it saves the gear box......

[ ... ]
Kevin,

I double clutch all the time (up or down). I do it in my Sidekick too.

Like Steven, I find that it doesn't slow shifts down much (once you get the hang of rev-matching while rapidly moving through neutral). It's definitely not as fast as selecting the next gear directly, but I'm usually visualizing 2 - 3 seconds ahead of where I am at the moment, so rapid shifting really isn't that important to me.

Steven may be overstating the issue with regard to the 1-2 upshift, but, the bottom line is that double-clutching does save some wear on the synchromesh gears. Perhaps the most beneficial side-effect of double-clutching is that you're not slamming the gearshift from gear-to-gear. In fact, I use a gentle push/pull on the level -- never forcing it. I believe this will save some wear on the synchros.

Best wishes. If anything, the gain is definitely not huge. Mastering a double-clutch technique is just something fun to do, and might come in use someday if you drive an old car.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you master double-clutching and rev-matching you can get the input and output shafts spinning at close to the same speeds which means the synchros won't have to do much work and thus will last.

rev-matching on downshifts also saves the clutch. if you don't rev match, the clutch will slip as it has to spin the flywheel up/down so the shafts match when the clutch is disengaged. Seriously, if you are going through clutches and are not driving hard, you are definitely slipping it too much.

The S2000 has a small clutch; slipping it wears it fast as there is not much surface area to it. IMO, it is not defective at all.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn 1500 to replace a clutch? holy shit!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Dec 26 2004, 06:24 AM
Kevin,

I double clutch all the time (up or down). I do it in my Sidekick too.

Like Steven, I find that it doesn't slow shifts down much (once you get the hang of rev-matching while rapidly moving through neutral). It's definitely not as fast as selecting the next gear directly, but I'm usually visualizing 2 - 3 seconds ahead of where I am at the moment, so rapid shifting really isn't that important to me.

Steven may be overstating the issue with regard to the 1-2 upshift, but, the bottom line is that double-clutching does save some wear on the synchromesh gears. Perhaps the most beneficial side-effect of double-clutching is that you're not slamming the gearshift from gear-to-gear. In fact, I use a gentle push/pull on the level -- never forcing it. I believe this will save some wear on the synchros.

Best wishes. If anything, the gain is definitely not huge. Mastering a double-clutch technique is just something fun to do, and might come in use someday if you drive an old car.
thanks for the advice.

I tried it a few days ago --when I got the revs right it felt like the box was sucking the shifter in. make sesne? I mean, you don't so much have to push the gear stick to select a lower gear, it feels like the gear selects itself, amost as if there was a vacuum sucking it in... I just needed to guide the lever.

of course, there were times I got it wrong and it felt less than smooth....

anway, happy new year, or as we say in japan "Akemashite Omedeto Gozaimasu!"

kevin
Old 01-01-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm which has a lot of great info on transmissions. Personally, I see no point in double clutching since we are driving a modern car, although it might be fun from time to time. While I like driving a manual and have for many years, I'd go nuts double clutching. I do try to rev match on downshifts which, I believe, is better for the clutch, and it's a nice skill to have (and also fun to get right).

One thing not mentioned - some folks tend to leave their left foot on the clutch pedal between shifts, especially at the lower gears. This is bad because you could be applying enough pressure to allow the clutch to slip.

Tony