S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Clutch Engagement point
Hell yeah, and it's pissing me off
38.46%
No, my transmission is butter smooth
61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Engagement point

Old 09-10-2002, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Engagement point

Hey guys, is it just me, or does it seem like the clutch pedal is very high off the floor before it starts engaging? It seems like the clutch pedal is almost all the way up before it's completely "locked" and is engaged. This is totally different to my Cobra in which the clutch "locked" almost as soon as you started raising the clutch pedal. On a side note, my 2nd gear grind on the 1-2 shift, and the 4th gear crunch on the 3-4 upshift are getting almost annoying so I guess i'll be taking it into the dealer. They better have a loaner I can borrow. I'm also having trouble engaging 1st gear from neutral sometimes if i've been idling on an uphill slope for a while. Almost reminds me of the days with my Cobra which eventually got lemon lawed because I had so much trouble with the tranny.

Let's start a poll here, how many of you guys are having the notorious 2nd gear grind?
Old 09-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 310 Likes on 149 Posts

Engagement point: it's normal to start engaging several inches above the floor. If it doesn't "lock" until basically all the way out, though, you need a new clutch.

Grind: Many of us have had great luck with GM Synchromesh tranny fluid (in addition to the TSB fix).
Old 09-10-2002, 09:08 PM

I would honestly hope that I wouldn't need a new clutch since I only have 1000 miles on my car! It starts grabbing about an inch off the floor, but it doesn't seem to lock until about an inch away from the top.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:31 PM

After the TSB my new trans is buttah smooth
Old 09-10-2002, 10:09 PM

Mine doesn't seem too high but it feels like it's got more travel for sure and yes, I do get the 1 - 2 upshift grind occasionally while fully depressing the clutch sometimes. I have misshifted on two occasions like I mentioned from the other post but I find it very wierd when the clutch is fully disengaged and theres a little contact or "crunch" when going into gear. I find that odd and also want that checked out. Remember, mine is a brand new 02 as well. Let me know what your dealer tells you if you go in sooner than me. I'll re-post as soon as I get a chance to go in myself.

Originally posted by junehhan
Hey guys, is it just me, or does it seem like the clutch pedal is very high off the floor before it starts engaging? It seems like the clutch pedal is almost all the way up before it's completely "locked" and is engaged. This is totally different to my Cobra in which the clutch "locked" almost as soon as you started raising the clutch pedal. On a side note, my 2nd gear grind on the 1-2 shift, and the 4th gear crunch on the 3-4 upshift are getting almost annoying so I guess i'll be taking it into the dealer. They better have a loaner I can borrow. I'm also having trouble engaging 1st gear from neutral sometimes if i've been idling on an uphill slope for a while. Almost reminds me of the days with my Cobra which eventually got lemon lawed because I had so much trouble with the tranny.

Let's start a poll here, how many of you guys are having the notorious 2nd gear grind?
Old 09-10-2002, 10:13 PM

the engagement point on this clutch is pretty high. that's what i learned as well when i first got my car 5 months ago...

as for the TSB, doesn't it only appy to MY2000 and MY2001? so basically there's no hope for any of us MY2002 owners that might have this grind?

june, i've recently started to get that 1-2 grind. well, i don't think mine's a grind, its more like its difficult to shift into 2nd sometimes...and i have the same problem with 1st as you do.

keep us posted about what the dealer did with you tranny. i'd like to know.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my tranny is tough when cool, usual the first morning start. I don't grind when the tranny is warm, it is really smooth when warm but I have some problems once in a while when it is cool. Sometimes the 1-2 shift is slowed because it is tough to get in 2nd and it causes a minor grind. This only happens when it is cold though.

The secret to this tranny is letting it shift by itself. Before you think I am wacko, there are resistance points going into every gear, if you hit that point and apply gradual pressure it sucks it right in and is really smooth. The common 2-3 gritch(notch) is solved by this method as well.

I find that if I rev to 4K+ when doing the 2-3 shift, the notch wouldn't be there, if I use the constant pressure method rather than sticking it in there. The gradual pressure method really works in all gears.

When you are stopped in neutral and want to put it in 1st, just put it to just the entrance of the 1st gear gate and feel the resistance point, then apply added pressure and it is suck it right in there. The easiest shift is definately the 3-4 shift. With this shift you can definately feel the resistance point. Just pull it down from 3 to 4, you'll get briefly stopped but add constant pressure and it sucks it right in. If you pull straight through, the feeling is less smooth.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:03 AM

Hey, what's the poll got to do with the thread title?? Bit of a misnomer if you ask me
Old 09-11-2002, 05:39 AM

Our clutch is a total POS. It is overly weak to save the underbuilt drivetrain from shock. Lame, lame, lame.

If you try doing a 6500rpm launch, you will find that you don't break the rear tires loose. The clutch simply does not grab and you power away like grandma coming back from the grocery store.

Good job, Honda. Take a lesson from Nissan on how to build a sportscar before you try again.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:00 AM

Oops, sorry about the poll not matching the title of this topic

I was going to post the poll in a totally seperate topic, but it was late last night and I must have accidently merged them.............

Quick Reply: Clutch Engagement point