S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch delay valve

Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch delay valve

So I was one to say that I couldn't notice the clutch delay valve and I didn't... until recently.

I had to open my big mouth and say that I had no problems with it...

Well sure enough, in the last two weeks it's decided to become apparent on my car too. I wonder if with a brand new clutch, the clutch doesn't clamp down faster as soon as there's some friction and then as the clutch wears a bit the problem becomes more apparent...?

It seems that way on my car anyhow. I was launching the car with no problems and chirping the tires shifting to second with no problems. Now chirping isn't even an option, when I drop the clutch after the shift it feels like I'm feathering it. It takes a good second or two after I drop the clutch before all the power is felt at the wheels when doing a fast shift.

Anyhow, I guess I'll have to do something about it.

Anyone here who isn't too mechanically inclined done the valve removal themselves? Was it easy, hard... Would you guys just recommend buying the old slave cylinder and having a shop instal it? How easy is it for an under the hood (or under the car in this case) novice to do the valve remove mod?
Even better, does anyone local who's done it want to help me do mine?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*subscribed*
Old 10-12-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:00 AM

here's a link to my favorite thread on this forum...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108435

there's info in there
Old 10-13-2005, 12:03 PM

noice writeup.....
Old 10-15-2005, 09:19 AM

If you feel the behavior has changed from how it was before, bleed the clutch. Then drive it around for a while and see if it makes a difference. Clutch fluid in these cars gets notoriously murky after only a few thousand miles. I've looked at the diagram of the slave cylinder in the Helm manual and my totally baseless hypothesis is that the crud clogs up either the filter or the orifice through which fluid returns to the master cylinder, adding a "delay to the delay" in effect. When I flushed my fluid, there was definitely a slight improvement in engagement.

Peter

Old 10-15-2005, 04:04 PM

I just got my old slave cylinder...I'll let you know after install!
Old 10-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AP1 for the win!
Old 10-15-2005, 04:26 PM

There is a clutch delay valve on 330i's - it drives everyone on bimmerfest.com crazy...

There is a vendor who takes the oem valve and bores it out and sends it back to you to re-install. Or you buy a modified CDV from him and keep the OEM in case you want to go back to stock.

This hides the fact from the dealer so there are no warranty issues and eliminates the delay issue for BMW owners.

I have had it done and love it.

Is there not a similar solution here in the S world?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CDV setup in the S2000 is much different than the one in the E46. Removing the CDV in an E46 is much easier as it's exposed. The CDV in the S2000 is integrated into the clutch slave cylinder and you need to remove the slave cylinder to get to it.

Quick Reply: Clutch delay valve