S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clear Shield

Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Shield

Well after just recently getting my first rock chip on my hood I investigated my local paint protectant dealers(well my local paint protectant dealer) being there is only one im my immediate area. Just seeing what you all think. His product is Clear Sheild and the borchure says it has a 5 year limited warranty. Hes going to charge me $495 for protecting the hood(18 inches up plus fenders), front bumper, rear view mirrors, and rear rocker panels(since i dont like the factory side strikes). Have you all heard or had experince with the clear shield product, if so I would like to know about it as well see some pictures of the product on your car, also does his price sound reasonable? Thanks for all input.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the newer 3M product on my '06. This is the third car I have put it on and I will never have a new car without it being installed. Good investment if you know the product and the installer.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, go with the new 3M.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the 3M material, it's a very good investment if you don't like rock chips. Clear shield is just one of the many "converters" that use 3M, Lumar, or Avery material that is cut to fit your shape car. Invincishield and Stonegard are some other converters that take the roll material and cut it to fit your car.

Installers are hit and miss, the more detail oriented, patient, and experienced the better. Your best bet is to find someone that has had the product installed that lives close to you so you can check out the work yourself. I would not trust an installer that I have not seen their work. I've seen some terrible installs and stories from others about how the installer just got frustrated and gave up when trying to do the S2000, it's one of the toughest cars on the market because of how pointed the front end is.

If the installer is good, $495 is about the average price, I've seen cheaper but when it comes to the finish on your car you probably don't want to go the cheapest route.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k Dude,Oct 24 2006, 04:32 PM

If the installer is good, $495 is about the average price, I've seen cheaper but when it comes to the finish on your car you probably don't want to go the cheapest route.

3M is the way to go.
Installer with experience (also OCD if possible ) is very important. The price you post is comparable to the going rates IMO.
Other than eliminating rock chips there is another important benefit to the bra. You don't have to be so concerned about unchecked dried bug goo etching into the paint. The plastic seem to be impervious to the effects.

I've had the clear bra for 3.5 years now. I consider the cost unreasonable but would (will) buy it again.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by zacksdad2,Oct 24 2006, 02:40 PM
I will never have a new car without it being installed. Good investment if you know the product and the installer.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:27 AM

While it helps alot, the 3M film is still vulnerable to getting dinged up by rocks and other road debris. I have 2 areas on my ride where its damaged. Between that, all the other chips and the pitted windshield, I've been getting used to living with it.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:36 AM

3M all thew way...I had it on my previous car, and this one as well!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM

Here is another alternative you should check out for installers in your area XPEL.COM. These guys are the biggest players in the industry with probably the largest dealer base across the country and any of there Branded installers use 3M film. Shop around and don't be focused on price, quality first. I charge 600.00 plus in my area for the S price is dependednt on your region or area. If you have the factory front lip spoiler the install is easier for sure. The hardest part on the S is the mirrors, very curved. Avery and 3M are the only two clear coated or top caoted films out there right now and I recommend either of these films both are great. If you have more questions I am happy to answer.

Swiftoy
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they're warranted to last for 5 years without chipping or yellowing as i read, but does anyone know what happens after 5 years? i mean does this stuff peel off decently clean? will it damage the paint or leave residue when taken off?
and for the wash and wax junkies, is it waxable? and will the wax still protect against UV rays that fade the base coat of the paint?
just a couple of questions...

Quick Reply: Clear Shield