S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clear corners: LEDs to replace running lights?

Old 01-27-2003, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear corners: LEDs to replace running lights?

I am about to install JDM clear diffusers next week, and so have been reading tons of old threads regarding bulb replacement. I am looking to go totally amber-less when the lights are off, so I have been exploring my options. I understand that Philips Silvervision lights will not fit the USDM sockets, but I do not want to spend the cash for the JDM ones.

I have decided to go with the "silver mist" strategy for the turn signal lights...buying amber bulbs and lightly misting them with silver spray paint. From what I understand, this is not advisable for the running lights, is this correct? I am thinking of using LEDs for the running lights that are clear when off and amber when lit. Will I run into any of the same problems that arise when using LEDs for the turn lights ("fast blinking" or anything else)?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, since the running lights are just that, you will have no problems with the LED lights such as fast blinking. Other than the fact that they may look slightly dim from the sides they work well. I have a pair of hyperwhite LED bulbs in my S up front.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:37 PM

Thanks, Douglas! In reference to my second question, would a silver-dusted amber bulb be acceptable for the running lights to address the dimness from the sides, or am I asking for other problems?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:11 PM

Depends, which color do you want your running lights to be? White or amber? If you want white, either go with the LED's or go with the blue colored hyperwhite bulbs and mist those with silver paint. It shouldn't be any more of a problem than the silver misted turn signal bulbs.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Spammer

LED bulbs are garbage dont waste your $$$. stick with the regular bulbs for now. LED technology for accessory bulbs still SUCK!
Old 01-27-2003, 04:18 PM

I tried the LED (11 LEDs in one lamp housing, but as indicated above, had the "fast-flashing" problem. So I purchased the Polarg G71 "Visual" bulbs. They're great. Basically painted silver but they shine amber. They're a bit pricey though - $21 per bulb. I got them at GoToGiga - the only place that sells them as far as I can tell.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bertsirkin
[B]I tried the LED (11 LEDs in one lamp housing, but as indicated above, had the "fast-flashing" problem.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by modifry
[B]I've never used replacement LED bulbs on my car, but I bet you can fix the fast flashing by adding a power resistor in parallel with the turn signal.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:39 PM

Uh, he was talking about the running (parking) lights. Not the turn signals. There is no problem with "fast flashing" since the parking lights do not act like the turn signals as they never flash.

I too, have the Polarg Visual series bulbs and they do not cost that much, maybe $15 a piece at most. Even at that price they were a ripoff, should be able to get a pair for $25 nowadays.

But that is all moot since he already painted his amber turn signal bulbs silver.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:49 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. I have just ordered standard amber bulbs for both the parking and turn lights and will just dust them both with silver paint. Any suggestions on what type of paint to use? I notice past threads mention "high-temp" paint. What is this, where can I get it, or what else can I use?

Quick Reply: Clear corners: LEDs to replace running lights?