S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

clear bra question!

Old 09-21-2007, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had the 3M Xpel clear bra put on our last three cars; even though it is expensive... it's worth it!

It cost $650 for installation of an "extended" kit that goes almost half way up the hood of my S2K (incl. mirrors, bumper) in Santa Barbara. I know it can be done for less in the LA area but I didn't feel like driving 100 miles through SoCal traffic.

Choose your installer carefully... our Z3 had flawless installation (no orange peel, bubbles, etc.), the clear bra installation on my wife's current car's is also very good.

Unfortunately, we used another installer for my S2K with less than perfect results (small bubbles on the hood)... still, the clear bar is practically invisible and a "must have" if you do lots of freeway driving.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my kit last September for $495.

It was installed by Stone-X here in Atlanta and uses the 3m film

The only computer-cut parts were for inside the grille area of the AP2 and the top edge of the line across the hood and fenders. THe remaining edges were hand-trimmed after the plastic was stretched into place.

My kit goes 18" up the hood and covers the fronts of the rearview mirrors as well as the inside of the doorhandle area in order to protect from fingernail scratches.

I absolutely love it and wouldn't consider not having one anymore, but there are a few things I'd change if I had to do it again:

1. Make sure the headlights are covered.
2. Hide as many edges as possible by wrapping them further around the panels. Really, only the one edge across the hood should show. because the rest of the edges have someplace they can hide.
3. Get some film for the spot just in front of the rear tire.
4. Get some film for the underside of the rear bumper cover right behind the rear tire
(of course the last two would have edges that show, but it's better than rock chips...)
Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Krenath,Sep 21 2007, 08:02 AM
I absolutely love it and wouldn't consider not having one anymore, but there are a few things I'd change if I had to do it again:

1. Make sure the headlights are covered.
2. Hide as many edges as possible by wrapping them further around the panels. Really, only the one edge across the hood should show. because the rest of the edges have someplace they can hide.
3. Get some film for the spot just in front of the rear tire.
4. Get some film for the underside of the rear bumper cover right behind the rear tire
(of course the last two would have edges that show, but it's better than rock chips...)
great advise!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
gkb

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my 3M'd car. You can't really see it in some of the pics. I had it done at the dealersip. I guess they brought in a guy to do the install. Whole front end, mirrors and 24" up the hood.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 AM
gkb

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I forgot, the also did under the door handles (so rings or fingernails wouldn't scratch the paint and also in front of the rear wheel wells.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 AM

I recently researched various options for getting a transparent bra installed in the Bay Area. I finally ended up going with Daniel Cook from TransparentBra.com.

I paid $687 for hood (24 inches), side fenders, mirrors, lights and door edges. Other recommended installers were about the same price.

He's used both 3M film and Venture Shield film and has a slight preference for Venture Shield because it's a little less likely to yellow, it's easier to install and suposedly is a little more durable. In fact, 3M is currently trying to buy Verture Shield.

He spent over 4 hours doing the install, and the results are amazing. He has an art background has really learned this craft.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 PM

was it 3M venture or 3M scotchgard?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by caleb2483,Sep 20 2007, 11:44 PM
here in northern VA, shops are charging $750-$1,000 for the front end (bumper, 18" hood, fender, mirror)... for the entire hood and front fender... $1,500-$2,000
What a complete rip-off.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 AM

I just finished installing a clear bra that was purchased, from ebay... The application took me 4.5 hours. The hood and side mirrors are easy, so are the fenders, but the bumper is ver Very VERY hard. Most peaple would not want to try this....

My back was hurting and I was runing out of sunlight... Oh yeah, if you have a garage, do this inside, because little bugs seem to become suisidale when it comes to ruing your bra dutin installation...

I'll post pictures shortly

PS; the hair dryer is your friend

Cost: $40 + DIY vs, $600
Old 09-23-2007, 05:11 AM

I had Venture Shiled installed in Cincinnati and the shop did a very good job. My understanding is that 3M recently purchased Venture Shield

Quick Reply: clear bra question!